Enclosure build pigtail question

Dmottram1983

New elf
When building an enclosure with pigtails out of the bottom...

Should the pigtails be female or male?

I just finished putting it all together, minus the controller which is in the mail and then I realised I have put all female plug through to be connected to the controller.

Then I had that dreaded feeling that maybe they should have been male pigtails, which I have so not much of a big deal I guess.

20211217_181350.jpg

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Grab a pixel string and check. Mine are Ray Wu male pins (with the lock nut) from the controller.

Dmottram1983

New elf
How can you tell by looking at the strings? The strings have both male and female ends. I'm using xconnect fittings.

Dmottram1983

New elf
Another question, because it's a dual power supply enclosure, I assume it'll get very hot... can anyone who has the cg-1500 enclosure, point out where they've put their fan/s please

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
How can you tell by looking at the strings?
There should be an arrow somewhere near each chip or led. The arrow points in the direction the data should flow. So in the attached pic the data from the controller comes in from the right.
You can also see "Din" and "Dout"

PXL_20211217_074534616.MP.jpg

Dmottram1983

New elf
Nothing like that on these strings. The connectors themselves have an arrow but both arrow on either end point outwards so that can't be a data direction.

My guess is now I've put female plugs for the controller connection... they should have been male and I'll have to redo them haha.

Dmottram1983

New elf
The female should be on the controller output.

Male is on the pixel string / strip input and female on the pixel string / strip output.
Thanks mate, that's what I first thought but then I had that "oh HoHoHo" moment and the more I thought about it, the more I thought I got it wrong

jollyzee

New elf
All of mine are xConnect pixels and as someone posted - the female has the power - in other words, the female connector with the nut is the output; from the controller or going to the next prop; the male end is the input. Hope this helps