Answered Ethernet help

Elecgreg

New elf
I have a micronet SP586A dual speed up

The problem is that when I start it up the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. as it was once on a larger network a second hand device that I once saved from scrap also the IP address is 169.254.x.x and the actual address assigned to the Raspberry Pi3B keeps changing is there a way to obtain static addressing as I will be also including in the show one or maybe more Arduino Mega 2560s to control old AC incandescent lights with relays or motor driven devices.

My home network is the traditional 192.168.0.x with a subnet 255.255.255.0

Every time I restart the network hub it assigns different addresses so if I set the wanted address for the network hub in Xlights with it remain as that address once loaded.

I am a network novice or a illiterate depends on the skills required.

tooms

12v4life
The 169.254.0.0/16 address suggest that your devices are configured to obtain an IP address via DHCP and they're not able to do so.

If you configure each device manually with a static IP address, they should stick each time it's rebooted. Another option is to configure your DHCP server to hand out the same IP address to a given device based on it's MAC address, this is a bit more complex to configure on your DHCP server, and you need to be able to find each devices MAC address to configure it do so.

I would just configure each device with a static IP address in your 192.168.0.0/24 range (the /24 means you're using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0)

i13

Dedicated elf
I suggest running a separate network for your display.

Elecgreg

New elf
The hub is a seperate network but that mask is a problem it runs ok just want to know how to change things so it will work for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 17

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
What's the model number of your hub? I can't make it out in the image.

Elecgreg

New elf
SP586A as best I can tell but searching the web did not yield much information for me maybe you will have better knowledge and luck

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
I was looking for the manual on-line. All I found was a Bosnian article from 1999 about Micronet.

Basically, neither a hub or switch have anything to do with the assignment of IP properties (address, netmask, gateway), That is done manually, or by DHCP. Mine is configured at my router, which has a section for fixed and dynamic addresses. That is where you need to set the subnet mask, and gateway. You should also be able to set fixed IP addresses, and assign a range to be used for DHCP.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Personally I'd ditch that very old hub thing. For a standalone show network a simple switch suffices. There's a couple of ways to set things up, one is to connect your devices to your normal home network router and let them get a DHCP address and gateway then set those addresses as static in the device (Pi)

Elecgreg

New elf
You people don’t understand I am not loaded and it makes sense to me to use something that works if possible or if you have a spare you can send it to me and I will gladly u it

i13

Dedicated elf
Some network switches are expensive but you don't need an expensive one for this hobby. I have a Tenda SG80 that I bought for $26 somewhere around the year 2015. It has 8 ports. Even this is probably overkill because it is a Gigabit switch and 10/100 would probably be enough. https://www.google.com.au/search?hl...TuAhUlg-YKHR-NADkQvSsIjgQoAA&biw=1536&bih=766

Networking isn't my area of expertise and I don't know about hubs. I just thought I'd post this because what I have works for me.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
There should be a factory reset button on the back of the hub somewhere.
Seriously consider ditching it though and get a 4 or 8 port switch from Jaycar or eBay, for the small outlay you'll be much better off.

Elecgreg

New elf
found a workaround all as i have to do is ensure I have it connected to my normal router and it fixes the problem however if it is not connected it reverts to the 169.254.x.x addressing so it can be used and will not need to be replaced at this stage $20 more now for lights or other associated material to make the show work this year next year is a different thing all together

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Ahh, yes sorry we should have twigged to that. The 169.254.x.x number means it was trying to find a network and get an IP from a dhcp device.
If you're running FPP on the Rpi3 you should now be able to open up the FPP web interface and set the static IP for the RPi. Otherwise Google how to set static IP for eth0.