Evans Central 2017 display

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi All.

So on the back of the plans for 2017 thread (link) I'm starting to research 12v pixel nodes for a mega tree. And wouldn't you know it, there's more than 1 option!! There's every chance I will be following Ruprect's guide to his mega tree build (here) but noticed some links were now dead.
So would anyone be able to make much sense of the suggestions from this search?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799/search?origin=y&SearchText=ws2811+dc12v+pixel+node
Hopefully the Boscoyo bulk buy goes ahead as I'd like to use those strips, so would it matter between bullet or square nodes? Thinking of also updating existing node elements from 5v to 12v...

darylc

404 darylc not found
I used square as it is easier to push them into the strips. The cost of importing Boscoyo strips isn't too bad even if the bulk buy doesn't go ahead. It's the other Boscoyo products are are insane to import.

Kitman

Full time elf
I have used the Boscoyo strip for my tree with 12v bullet nodes and to me it works and looks great, haven't had a chance to check out any one else tree so not sure of the difference between bullet and square nodes but the bullets were easy enough to push in.

LagoonLights

Formerly RedGumRdLights
I'm also interested in cost and couldn't see on their website how long each strip is and how they join together etc.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
mccar said:
Hey,
What was the cost to get the strip sent over from the U.S?
Thanks
By strip, do you mean the strip lighting or the Boscoyo mounting strips?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Just a quick update for anyone remotely interested :)
I think I've settled on nodes for the megatree: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100pcs-set-square-DC12V-addressable-WS2811-led-smart-pixel-node-RGB-full-color-all-BLACK-20AWG/701799_32608983291.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.JwIv4k

I think I will now do 56 nodes per strand, by 36 strands. That's 12 universes plus a 13th universe for a star or topper of some type (TBA). Worked out in chat last night that my current use of my F16v2 will mean that I can utilise a differential expansion board and 4 differential receivers to run the tree. I'll need to do some quick mods to my mini trees and spinners so they all have in/out to enable daisy chain connection, instead of using 1 output per element. This should help free up some outputs for more elements haha!

Now just need to wait for the group buys from Boscoyo for the 3" mounting strips and Falcon for the boards!

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Bit of an update. Megatree plans are on hold due to insufficient funds. So i've been looking at elements to create with lights I already have.
Cue arches! I have 2x 5m rolls spare (where going to be mini trees) so I've cut in half and added pigtails and went halves in a roll of LDPE Air Seeder Tube which means I now have 4 arches! Used 32mm conduit pieces to make legs/feet also, and just need to get some bracing sorted out.
View media item 86View media item 87View media item 88View media item 89View media item 90

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYEcQT4Xy24

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Next project is coro stars just like THESE. Been meaning to make these for years but never found the motivation. As with the arches above, these use existing lights I have left over (12v WS2811 modules from my singing faces) so all I've had to buy is 3mm corflute from Bunnings. Followed the template in the above linked thread and cut them out slowly using a stanley knife (don't have 3mm flute cutter) and then used a hole punch to put holes through the tabs to hold onto the base. I've just stuck down the modules using the existing sticky tape on the back. I expect them to not last through the season, but I can always use glue or silicone if required down the track.
View media item 98View media item 99View media item 100View media item 101View media item 102View media item 103
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0oE8_QgcSU

scamper

Dedicated elf
I make a habit of dabbing a bit of silicone on each led module and then stick it on with the double sided tape, that way the tape holds it while the silicone dries.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Today saw the completion of the stars. I'll probably use tape to hold them together at the joins when in use (for now just used blu-tac)
Just need to make up some new data/PI leads for them, but I'll wait to see where exactly in the yard they will go (may do some landscaping this year.)

Feels good having completed (technically) 8 new elements for this year's display in only 2 weeks using leftover lights.

View media item 106View media item 107
View: https://youtu.be/blznjvbDZlQ

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks to the Queen having yet another birthday, I found myself tinkering in the mancave on new elements.
Shout out to @swb who posted a coro present build on the xlights FB page, so I decided to "draw inspiration" from it.
3mm coro, 12v WS2811 modules (x8 per present) hot glue & some silver/grey gaffa tape, and they're done!

View media item 122View media item 123View media item 124View media item 125
View: https://youtu.be/r6Aq5dH6Vhk

Just need to setup in xlights & sequence! (Might make 2 more...)