Evans Central Halloween 2018

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Keeping track of this year's display. Essentially the same as last year but with a couple of new additions and repairs to existing elements.
Last year's rocking tombstones didn't rock as the mechanism ceased up in the wind. So to (hopefully) fix this issue I've used some nyloc lock nuts on the mechanisms to prevent any unwanted movement and locking up of the nuts:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmif0dfju-L/?taken-by=evans_central_christmas_lights

Mrs DJ has asked for a ground pit, inspired by @David_AVD creation: https://www.da-share.com/halloween/ground-pit/
I currently have a whole bunch of bits on order from eBay to bring it to life:
12v 10RPM geared motors: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Reversi...var=512440531946&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Body parts: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hallowe...var=413468379815&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Servo arms: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25T-CNC...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
MP3 player for spooky background noises: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MP3-U-D...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Also bought micro sd cards for the MP3 player and step down power boards to convert 12v into 5v for the MP3 board. I'll have my own small speaker to use.
Dumb strip controller from DA-Share: https://www.da-share.com/sku/MDC3/
I already have a few lengths dumb strip at my disposal.

I'm also looking to do some small projections as inspired by @OzAz https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/tombstone-video-projection.10858/
So last night I did a quick test with my bargain Arlec projector from Bunnings onto the back of one of my tombstones to see how the image comes up on a grey surface and I must say I'm surprised at how well it mostly came out. The projector was 1m away so that the image wasn't too big past the tombstone.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t96Ooh2ce18

Stay tuned for updates :)

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Whilst I await the ebay goodies to make the above prop, I have bought a sheet of 7MM PLYWOOD from Bunnings and have knocked up a small projector cover, large enough to house one of the Arlec projectors I bought on discount at Bunnings at the start of the year.

(note: scroll to the right to see the assembled enclosure)

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmyDAP0DFye/?taken-by=evans_central_christmas_lights

I used a hot glue gun to tack everything in place, then went along most edges for extra grip, and then used some small nails along all joins for extra strength.

Next I'll buy some more foam board and cover it so I can carve some lettering and make it look like a grave marker.

Last edited:

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
My local Bunnings had sold out of the 30mm FOAM so I went to the next suburb over on Friday night to get some. I use the 50mm to make tombstones but as this is just to cover the plywood enclosure, it doesn't need to be as thick as some :)

So I cut the pieces I needed with a stanley knife for a cleaner cut, although I have used a jigsaw for cuts, particularly curves previously on the 50mm board. I stuck these onto the plywood with a hot glue gun, taking care to apply to the plywood and not the foam directly as the heat actually eats away the foam on contact. By the time I run around the edges, I can push the foam into place and it still holds but does not melt.
View media item 795
Next comes the lettering. Print out on A4 paper and using a glue stick put in place. Then I use a Dremel with the router guide attached. I usually drill out around 7mm deep by slowly tracing the black lettering. Once done, peel off the paper and then I use a small flat screwdriver to scrape away burs and junk in the letters, to tidy it up for painting.
View media item 796
Once glued in place, I then use a pair of scissors to scrape the edges to give it more of an aged look. The trick is to not make it look all even, work some areas more to scrape more away, and on a corner remove more, adds to the crumbling look. I also use the scissors to wiggle down the face of the board to create cracks, again flicking out certain areas to make it deeper.
Then hit all the edges and cracks with a heat gun, but only quickly. This makes the cracks & letters expand a little, but also makes all the surfaces a bit crispy and hard, which makes it much easier for painting and less likley to flake off once outside in the elements. I also use the heatgun on the flat surfaces to create some texture, which again adds to the aged stone look.

View media item 797

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Another project tackled this weekend was the BOSCOYO SPIDERWEB
I have bought some 25mm rigid (orange, slightly thicker walls) electrical conduit, along with 90deg bends and T-pieces so I can use conduit legs. This may change if its not strong enough to support the weight of the pixels.
View media item 798
Next I created a string of 324 12v square nodes that I had originally for the megatree but as I don't plan to go full 360, I have a few strands unused brand new. I added a power injection point after 200 nodes, so combined with power injection at the start and the end, this appears to be sufficient at 100% full white (not that it will ever be.)
View media item 799
Then it was pixel pushing time! I was a little worried at first as it was a little difficult to get the first inner circle through, but the rest of the web was actually quite easy. Still have sore hands though!
View media item 800
Finished result with only about 1/3 of the zipties being used, purely to check wiring and model setup in xlights and controller was working. I'll leave it as is for a few days and see if there is any noticeable signs of the conduit sagging under the weight. Not a perfect test as its not out in the sun softening up, but if it does show signs of not being strong enough I will need to resort to plan b for a frame.
View media item 801

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
During the week I started painting the grave marker and projection tombstone (after shaping & ageing the edges)
First is the grey base coat (I also did a dodgy coat inside on the plywood so its doesn't stand out as much):
View media item 804
Then today I did the dark grey letters. Using a damp cloth to drag down the excess helps add to the aged look:
You may also note I painted the conduit frame of the Boscoyo spiderweb too. Doesn't need to look 100% right, as it will be mostly hidden anyway.
View media item 806
Then the final step for the grave marker is to apply the tea staining effect. This is done by using a cup full of dirty paint water, and stirring in a little dark paint. Then using the brush apply liberally at the top and let it streak down. Let it sit for a min or 2 and then get a cup of clean plain water and splash it around, to help remove some of the dark drips, and allow this to run down too. The more water, the more it removes the darker streaks.
Finished!
View media item 805
During the week I applied a couple of coats of plain white to the back side of the projection tombstone. Today I attempted the marble effect. Using a small brush, I applied black paint streaks with a shaky hand. Then using a mostly dry brush, I swept it to make it a little softer. Next time I'll try dabbing the brush as it spread it too much for my liking.
Then using a small sponge brush I dabbed some white over the top and then dabbed with the dry brush to soften the black veins.
Overall I think it looks good for a first go, and I've now painted the front side white first coat, ready to repeat the process with perhaps less streaks for the projection side:
View media item 807

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Tombstone projection project almost complete!
Got the front side of the projection tombstone painted today. Much happier with the marble effect this time round. Instead of dry brushing the black lines, I dabbed them with a dry brush. Less streaks and made the surrounding area a little darker. Plus its a little less busy so it doesn't distract too much from the projected images:
View media item 810
Tonight I gave it all a test run and I'm pleased with the results.
It won't be this dark when its part of the full display/show...
View media item 812
But even with more ambient light, you can still make out what is being projected:
View media item 811

View: https://youtu.be/AGPhvUNY-rs

All that is left is to cover the opening with clear plastic tablecloth to keep the rain out, and make up a 12v lead so I don't have to run 240v to the projector. I may also add a 12v 60mm fan and vent, to assist with keeping the projector cool. Whilst it doesn't seem to generate a huge amount of heat, once the plastic is on and being out on the lawn all day, the enclosure will no doubt get hot (and no I don't plan on keeping the projector in it all day, not in this neighbourhood :) )

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I've added a vent to the projector gravestone and the plastic tablecloth for weather proofing:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BociwFEjo2K/?taken-by=evans_central_christmas_lights

Also got a heap of pallets from work for free so I could continue the ground pit build.
I've wired up the motors (one I had to replace) and the dumb strip and they work quite well! Motors are a little noisy, i'm still debating if I add sound to this prop or not.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BolVXgCj2NP/?taken-by=evans_central_christmas_lights

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Because I like to do things last minute, I decided that a new foam grave was the best option to cover the coro present boxes, so I could hide them from view in the display.
So a trip to bunnings and 3x sheets of 30mm foam later, I had the 3 sides and a top cut out:
View media item 859
Then the usual ageing treatment of roughing up the edges with a file. Decided not to do any cracks this time, or lettering or ageing paintwork, due to (A) being a bit lazy and (B) not everything in a graveyard is the same age, so this can be the "latest addition"!
Also added some dowel pieces to help hold all the pieces together in place, that way it can come apart pretty much flat for storage during the year:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpJy83pjjam/?taken-by=evans_central_christmas_lights

So just the 2 coats of grey to the whole piece and it's done!
View media item 860

Lishfish

Full time elf
Bunnings still sell this projector, is it worth getting or is the quality so so...?????

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Bunnings still sell this projector, is it worth getting or is the quality so so...?????
It's so-so. Not all that bright so you have to wait until it's quite dark outside before you can properly see it, which is an issue for those of us that have daylight savings and it's not really dark until 8:30 - when all the kids have gone to bed...
It also only has SD card or USB input, so you can't hook up a cheap media player via HDMI, which means you have to wait until it's dark to turn it on and navigate your way through the menu to select and play the file(s) you want.
Thankfully I bought mine when it was "on clearance" (or at least my local thought it was) and marked them down to $60 ea. I would save your money at $99, i'm sure there are slightly better options on eBay for similar money.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I don't have the Arlec one, but have bought a few of the Excelvan 33+ LED projectors off eBay. They are higher resolution than the Arlec and have more inputs. At the moment the 33+ are selling for about $93 on eBay [search link]. They vary in price all the time. The cheapest I paid was $40 and the most was $75, but they shoot up to $160+ for months sometimes. You need to keep an eye on the pricing and buy when they drop down. :)

Lishfish

Full time elf
I don't have the Arlec one, but have bought a few of the Excelvan 33+ LED projectors off eBay. They are higher resolution than the Arlec and have more inputs. At the moment the 33+ are selling for about $93 on eBay [search link]. They vary in price all the time. The cheapest I paid was $40 and the most was $75, but they shoot up to $160+ for months sometimes. You need to keep an eye on the pricing and buy when they drop down. :)
Whats the brightness like on that one?

Lishfish

Full time elf
It's so-so. Not all that bright so you have to wait until it's quite dark outside before you can properly see it, which is an issue for those of us that have daylight savings and it's not really dark until 8:30 - when all the kids have gone to bed...
It also only has SD card or USB input, so you can't hook up a cheap media player via HDMI, which means you have to wait until it's dark to turn it on and navigate your way through the menu to select and play the file(s) you want.
Thankfully I bought mine when it was "on clearance" (or at least my local thought it was) and marked them down to $60 ea. I would save your money at $99, i'm sure there are slightly better options on eBay for similar money.
ahhh thats kinda a bummer. thanks :)