Ever have lights out of a p12s stuck on white?

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Hi guys,

I have sent an email to Ed at J1SYS, but figured I would post here too. I wired up six p12 controllers this year (1 p12r and the rest p12s). No issues with any of them... they were all 5V. I wired one up for 12V in the last week or so and have been doing some current draw measurements in "test" mode with that 4th dip switch in the up position.... and the string was all white, which I thought is what I remembered of test mode. Tonight I went to switch over to computer control and... shoot... the string is still white! And it stays on white...

1. I tried doing several reboots, still white
2. logged into the p12s through the web browser just fine, it shows that the unit is not in test mode. good.
3. verified that I had +V and ground coming from the 12V power supply connected to P13 and P00 correctly on the p12s. good
4. verified that I had the bridge wires set correctly on the K1 greenie plug (jumpered +V to V1 and VO to +5)
5. the heartbeat LED is blinking on the p12s
6. I tried several different strings, same thing
7. I tried several different outputs, both banks, same thing

Any ideas? My first inclination is that something with the 12V has me off and I did something wrong, but I swear I'm looking at the p12r guide from ACL correctly...

Thanks for looking!

-Louie

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
First check the speed - using 2811 and the first light is close to the controller then use a speed of 3500 if its 10 metres away from the controller then try 1400 speed. It may take some fine tuning

Other thing is if you have been unplugging and plugging these in with the power on then you may have killed the first pixel

If these are 2801 chips then try swapping the data and clock wires around as there have been some mislabled

nutz4lights

Full time elf
So I guess it was speed related, which I swear I've never seen before. I had all of the strings set to 1500. It didn't like 3500, but 2500 worked and it all settled in nicely. These were attached to the controller with a 1.5m cord. 2811 chips.

Thanks!

-Louie

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The cable type used can also have an effect on the speed, so every install may be different and require different speeds based on many factors