Export XLights Models

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
Xlights (nutcracker incorporated patterns) makes it easy to generate a model for a set of lights. Thanks. It takes a really big load off :)

How does one export these models from the Xlights Windows application in a format that can be imported into Ligth Show Pro.

Apologies of this has been asked and answered before. Very likely it has, so a link to that answer would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Gary

buzzdude

Full time elf
Hi

Within xlights, from the nutcracker tab, open your sequence and then select the export button (top right), an options drop down box will show and you can select the format you want to export, enter a path and name.

You should then be able to import the file into another program.

Thanks

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
Ta. I discovered this in my wanderings but found LSP, "not implemented yet." I wonder if XLights exported Vixen files will import into LSP all right?

kane

Dedicated elf
garyjac1 said:
Ta. I discovered this in my wanderings but found LSP, "not implemented yet." I wonder if XLights exported Vixen files will import into LSP all right?
I'd rate your chances pretty low, I'm afraid!

Unfortunately exporting/importing between different packages, especially when each of these packages are constantly changing is a minefield - by doing it in a couple steps would only make the whole process more difficult.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
garyjac1 said:

what version of xlights are you running.

This is the version history
xlights released in 2012
2012a,b,c,d,e (These versions are found on sourceforge)
In 2012 Nutcracker software was a web page that you went to to generate effects. This web page has not been developed since january, 2013. All new development is on Nutcracker 3, the tab that now exists on xlights.

released in 2013 (version numbering was changed when nutcracker was merged into xlights). The sources for the new code was moved to github.
https://github.com/smeighan/xLights

xlights/nutcracker 2013 versions
3.0.0, 3.0.1 ,3.0.2, 3.0.3, 3.0.4, 3.0.5, 3.0.6, 3.0.7, 3.0.8, 3.0.9
3.0.10, 3.0.11, 3.0.12, 3.0.13, 3.0.14, 3.0.15, 3.0.16, 3.0.17, 3.0.18, 3.0.18,
3.0.20, 3.0.21, 3.0.22, 3.0.23, 3.0.24,
3.1.0, 3.1.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 3.1.4,
3.2.0, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3

Tonight we will be releasing 3.2.4. This newest version will have filtering on every slider and check box.

the reason i ask is LSP is supported as an export for at least 6 months.

so be sure you have the latest xlights/nutcracker by going to [SIZE=78%]http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases/[/SIZE]

thanks
sean

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
I think I had older and newer versions conflicting in some fashion. I completely deleted the October version and removed the directory manually and thing seem correct now. Thanks. Superb tool for the purpose btw.

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
I tried exporting from xLights V3.2.6 running on Win7 and the export repeatedly failed with no specific message but a Windows error -- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly....blah blah....the usual "helpful" Windows diagnosis. Is this something known to be specific to the current xLights, or just Windows playing up as usual, do you think?

btw, there does not seem to be a Linux version downloadable at the same site as the Windows versions -- is this still under development? The site shows "placeholder" and links to a 404 error (not found) for the Linux version.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
garyjac1 said:
I tried exporting from xLights V3.2.6 running on Win7 and the export repeatedly failed with no specific message but a Windows error -- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly....blah blah....the usual "helpful" Windows diagnosis. Is this something known to be specific to the current xLights, or just Windows playing up as usual, do you think?

btw, there does not seem to be a Linux version downloadable at the same site as the Windows versions -- is this still under development? The site shows "placeholder" and links to a 404 error (not found) for the Linux version.

Can you post your setup data. Just post your xlights_networks.xml
also post your model info . just post xlights_rgbeffects.xml

if you are exporting for LSP your choices are
1) create a UserPatterns.xml for lsp
2) create a LOR lms file and then import that into LSP
3) Create first sequence in LSP, save as a conductor file. Convert conductor file to xlights file (*.seq into *.xseq)
add nutcracker effects. Most LSP people then play their show from xlights, they never export it back out.

i only develop for windows.

dkulp pulls source code and compiles and releases the mac version
materdaddy (among others) pulls the source codde and releases the linux version.

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
Ah, in that case, I have it all wrong. What I have been doing is creating a sequence in xLights and trying to export straight from that, rather than importing an LSP file and adding that.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
garyjac1 said:
Ah, in that case, I have it all wrong. What I have been doing is creating a sequence in xLights and trying to export straight from that, rather than importing an LSP file and adding that.
you can do it both ways but the export file can be huge. if you make nutcracker effects for a 3 minute song on a megatree the userpatterns.xml can be nearly 1 gbyte in size. the same file in xlights is 45mbytes. this is becase xseq files are binary and the userpatterns.xml is an xml file that has nearly 80 bytes per byte of info.

lor lms files are like 800mbytes.

so bringing in a file from lsp and then adding in the massive rgb stuff and staying in xlights file format is efficeient. there are people who export and others who do the import process.

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
Thanks Sean. That may explain a lot, in fact. I'm running all my "practice" on a 2 GB laptop, so things are somewhat "constrained" in the file handling sense :)) If an output file that large was generated then I can see Windows choking on it in such a limited space. In any event, the alternative you have outlined is much more efficient, clearly. I'm changin my LSP machine over this week, so I'll try the conductor file export method then. Thanks again.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
garyjac1 said:
Thanks Sean. That may explain a lot, in fact. I'm running all my "practice" on a 2 GB laptop, so things are somewhat "constrained" in the file handling sense If an output file that large was generated then I can see Windows choking on it in such a limited space. In any event, the alternative you have outlined is much more efficient, clearly. I'm changin my LSP machine over this week, so I'll try the conductor file export method then. Thanks again.

also there is a program that converts LSP msq files directly into xlights/pi player files.
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/board,39.0.html

thanks