Extending display across the road

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
My neighbour has caught CLAP from me and wants to put lights up. We have decided to collaborate not compete. Their yard is approx 50M from my display and there is a road in between. I am assuming using FPP and a sync packet that is sent over wifi will be the go although I can see some problems with this ie signal loss caused by traffic, but their yard is higher than our so maybe not, What would be the best way to have the two displays working as one?

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Hello,

I use Ubiquiti equipment as you will find attempting to go 50 meters across a street with regular residential Wifi will simply not cope

heres a video of my equipment

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SS85lG3WQ&ab_channel=JacksTools

However you can simply use a cheaper version of this equipment with the same result

I personally don't use FPP remotes I just stream the data to the controllers at each house from my main master Pi as these devices just act as a wireless ethernet cable.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Another vote for the Ubiquiti LocoM5 gear. I use it to connect my old man's place to my grandparents. Works a treat.

Make sure you get the M5 and not the M2, the 5GHz range will give you a more stable connection as the spectrum is not contested. They are sectional antennas so need to point to each other.

I have a bunch around my farm giving me around 200m of outdoor Wifi coverage to devices - so two of these to each other would work awesome.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
The use of the Ubiquiti units in a point to point configuration is wonderful.

If you are "surrounded" by points that you want to get signal to (point to multi-point), and need to get to several units (Loco M5) consider a Ubiquiti "Rocket" (with 360 degree antenna) as your central unit. We have one in the middle with several others pointed right at it. A great way to get the data to your "others".

The capability of the Ubiquiti setup makes it so you can choose to send your whole data stream across it, or if you want to use the Master/Remote setup with only sending sync packets across.

I offer this because I know that once you link your house to your neighbor, it is catching. You never know how many will "join in". Being prepared is always better.

jollyzee

New elf

bpratt

Senior elf
I like this idea, and I'm sure somewhere down the track I'm likely to get someone wanting me to extend my show in to their yard, but here I'm on acreage, so I'd need something that would reliably connect 100+ metres away

The Ubiquity stuff looks interesting.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I like this idea, and I'm sure somewhere down the track I'm likely to get someone wanting me to extend my show in to their yard, but here I'm on acreage, so I'd need something that would reliably connect 100+ metres away

The Ubiquity stuff looks interesting.
My only suggestion would be to keep the traffic down - so use it for remote sync packets between FPPs, rather than pushing full E1.31 data across it. It'll be much more reliable.

jollyzee

New elf
For that distance, I think some directional wifi is needed. I love Ubiquity - have 2 AP lights at the house - almost plug and play.
I would look at the airMAX products

Last edited:

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
Thank you all for the responses. So I think i will just buy a wifi extender, but what about the audio. I am sure I saw somewhere that FPP can only run audio on the Master, not the remotes, or has this changed in later versions.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
FM transmitter if it's just across the road, you should be able to pick it up a both houses if you place it close to the street.

I don't know about the audio on the remotes, give it a go. See what you get. You might find it actually works.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
If i remember, with audio on the remotes, it plays fine, but if it drifts (slightly faster/slower playback than the master) when it pulls it back inline it can be jittery. YMMV so try it.

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
FM transmitter if it's just across the road, you should be able to pick it up a both houses if you place it close to the street.

I don't know about the audio on the remotes, give it a go. See what you get. You might find it actually works.
Yep, numpty of the week, I have a radio transmitter, so just use that, simples