F16V3 SET UP? SOLVED

Adsy

Full time elf
Ok so I got oled screen to work again on the F16V3 so i could set up the Falcon to configure , but i am getting donuts with it talking to xlights so obviously i am doing something wrong.
i have watched a couple of videos on this but they are earlier versions of xlights so the screens and menus are totally different making it very frustrating to set up. I will admit my computer knowledge is average at best and this is why i was nervous about taking this path. I can build props all day long and really enjoy the sequencing side of things but this is my achillies heel.
Can anyone give me some pointers?

Dreamin

Full time elf
This is how I have mine set up. I'm using the new visualise button to configure layout based on port, and haven't had to worry about universes. I had a handle on them, but I got my kit second hand and my layout is different, so it's one less thing to reconfigure. :)
From what I've learnt so far (still a newbie). Have your computer on the same network as the falcon, and press upload input and it uploads all the universes/channels, and press upload output and the models upload. The biggest PITA I found is that it overwrites what is there, it's doesn't wipe it and upload. So I ended up with a old settings on ports I wasn't using, and had to manually remove them. Took some fiddling I can tell you.
Here is how mine looks. F16V3 with one expansion board (up to 4 smart receivers). I also read somewhere I think it was in one of Keith's youtube videos to only use how many universes your need to cut down on network traffic. I'm using about 17, so even 32 is overkill and you can change it later if you need to.

Good luck, hope that helped in someway. :)

Michael

2020-03-28 (2).png

Adsy

Full time elf
Thanks for the reply Michael.I have a similar set up with 32 universes and yes the visualise button is helpful. Now I' m noticing a difference on the menus to the right of the screen that I do not not see on mine
Auto layout models
Auto upload configuration
Auto size
Also I cannot get upload input and upload output to highlight.
Which version are you running?
I must mention I did just update to the latest version of xlights so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Also our internet connection is via wi-fi which may not be ideal?

Adsy

Full time elf
I now have the ability to upload settings and correct port strings assigned. Just watched Keith's 2020 release video and just saw
where I was going wrong. Missed the variant checkbox ! hopefully back on track

Dreamin

Full time elf
Yeah Keith's videos are great! I've learnt so much from them.
Doubt it was your problem, but I found I didn't have the dropdown boxes for the Falcon, and dicovered that my antivirus was blocking some elements on install. Turned it off, installed again and all good now. My antivirus doesn't like xlights at all on install because it modifies 3 files which it freaks out about. :)