F16v3 vs Kulp16?

layzer1

New elf
Trying to determine which controller to go with between F16v3 and Kulp16. Anyone experience with both that could provide pros and cons between the two.

Is the beagle bone black required with the kulp controller or not?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
if you want to get really technical, then the falcon can push out the same amount of pixels at a faster refresh rate, compared to a BBB based controller. eg like the kulp board

layzer1

New elf
if you want to get really technical, then the falcon can push out the same amount of pixels at a faster refresh rate, compared to a BBB based controller. eg like the kulp board
Thank you for the quick response. So the kulp controller requires BBB in order to run?

SmartAlecLights

yes it does.
the BBB range of controllers include the "Kulp" board, the "HE123 MK2", "PixelBone" (my own), an there all based off the RGB123 BBB Cape.
if that helps

SmartAlecLights

Under Falcon Player (FPP) version 4.x and later the maximum pixels per output are 800 per output at 40fps and 1600 at 20fps. This gives a maximum number of pixels of 38,400 at 40fps or 76,800 at 20fps. That’s with all 48 ports fully loaded.

layzer1

New elf
So it sounds like I'm better going the F16v3 controller. Just wanted to make sure to make the best choice from the get go before taking the plunge since I will start working on buying stuff for next year since thisnyesr didn't quite work out.

SmartAlecLights

The Falcon was built as a controller, so will always win hands down. Just like the Pixlight is but less channels.
The BBB is just a mini computer doing 48 outputs while using different Capes to do the job it needs.
The same as the Raspberry Pi with a Cape on it, to make it do pixels,
but its still a mini computer (but better with FPP loaded on it, controlling the show)

layzer1

New elf
The Falcon was built as a controller, so will always win hands down. Just like the Pixlight is but less channels.
The BBB is just a mini computer doing 48 outputs while using different Capes to do the job it needs.
The same as the Raspberry Pi with a Cape on it, to make it do pixels,
but its still a mini computer (but better with FPP loaded on it, controlling the show)
Thank you for your quick response, greatly appreciated!!!! Since you mentioned Pixlight, now going to go see what that is

tooms

12v4life
Under Falcon Player (FPP) version 4.x and later the maximum pixels per output are 800 per output at 40fps and 1600 at 20fps. This gives a maximum number of pixels of 38,400 at 40fps or 76,800 at 20fps. That’s with all 48 ports fully loaded.

The latest Kulp K16 will also push 800 pixels per port at 40fps, but only 1500 at 20fps.
K16A-B – Kulp Lights LLC

I guess the other thing to consider is that the Kulp's have a few extra's not available on the Falcon such as a "high quality" DAC for audio, also a header for an optional FM transmitter. So if you're looking for that all-in-one board the Kulp is probably a good idea.