F16V4 OLED wont come on

rossg10

New elf
I just took down my lights. Took the controller inside and wanted to change the battery because I'm having trouble with it keeping the correct time (whole other thread). Opened the cover and I went to move the fan wire I have in it and the controller shut off. When it came back on, no OLED. Tried reset button, it did nothing. The WiFi led above the OLED no longer lights up either. It will not connect to the internet. I tried a factory reset, don't think it did anything. I measure the voltage at both connections by the pixel banks and have 12v on each. What did I do?!

rossg10

New elf
Did you bump the controller power selector switch on the far right from v2 to ext by chance?
No.... the switches are where they are supposed to be.

Attachments

• IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    891.6 KB · Views: 14

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
No.... the switches are where they are supposed to be.
I'm not seeing the lights come on below the SD card slot.

In it's current state, does this circled voltage regulator feel hot to the touch? (Just touch the black, not the silver pins!)
1672442070753.png

Power it off for 20 minutes and back on again.
If that solved, it then you had a sudden power spike and the voltage regulators protection was triggered.

If it still doesn't power on, try lowering the voltage from your power supply. That could be outputting just over 13v on initial start up.

Attachments

• 1672442052630.png
    1672442052630.png
    751.6 KB · Views: 6

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
And if mark's suggestion doesn't work, try running 5V into the ext power socket and see if that works (with changing the two switches of course) this will determine whether it's a power regulator issue or a more sinister problem.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Opened the cover and I went to move the fan wire I have in it and the controller shut off.
if that works (with changing the two switches of course) this will determine whether it's a power regulator issue or a more sinister problem.
I have to ask; are you using the fan connector on the controller?
Does this fan have 4 wires?
I have heard on Zoom of a cheap Amazon fan that likely sent 12v down the signal wire. Which went straight into the processor and killed it.

If the processor has died, then that voltage regulator will likely be very hot.

rossg10

New elf
I'm not seeing the lights come on below the SD card slot.

In it's current state, does this circled voltage regulator feel hot to the touch? (Just touch the black, not the silver pins!)
View attachment 22015

Power it off for 20 minutes and back on again.
If that solved, it then you had a sudden power spike and the voltage regulators protection was triggered.

If it still doesn't power on, try lowering the voltage from your power supply. That could be outputting just over 13v on initial start up.
That voltage regulator is hot AS HELL!
Powering off did nothing.
Lowering the voltage...also did nothing, it was right on the money.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Hmmm, I'm sorry bit it looks like you've blown something in the processor circuitry.
Email Pixelcontroller LLC and see if there is any chance of repair.

rossg10

New elf
I have to ask; are you using the fan connector on the controller?
Does this fan have 4 wires?
I have heard on Zoom of a cheap Amazon fan that likely sent 12v down the signal wire. Which went straight into the processor and killed it.

If the processor has died, then that voltage regulator will likely be very hot.
The fan has been working fine, its still running too. Its a NZXT 4 wire computer fan.

rossg10

New elf
Hmmm, I'm sorry bit it looks like you've blown something in the processor circuitry.
Email Pixelcontroller LLC and see if there is any chance of repair.
That's what I am afraid of. I just hope they even listen to me considering I cut a hole in the cover for the fan.

rossg10

New elf
I reckon it's cursed using the fan connector on the Falcons.
Next time I suggest using a standard 2-wire fan and taking 12v from the power supply directly.
I wouldnt normally need it. I live in North New Jersey. This time of the year the temps SHOULD be in the 40's. I had a week of upper 60's and started seeing the temps go up way too high. Wife is going to kill me. Thank you everyone for your help.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
What is too high though? I have not seen any published specs for the controller on temperature, would need to look at each individual component.
Here in AU is not uncommon to have 40C/104F ambient at Christmas/summer, so a fan would only bring it down to this temperature at lowest.

rossg10

New elf
What is too high though? I have not seen any published specs for the controller on temperature, would need to look at each individual component.
Here in AU is not uncommon to have 40C/104F ambient at Christmas/summer, so a fan would only bring it down to this temperature at lowest.
In the web interface, the temp display went yellow. Maybe I jumped the gun and should have left it alone, but I got paranoid. Oh well, now to pray they can/will fix it.

yoyo

New elf
this sucks and the same thing happened to me with the v4 plugged a fan in and bam bye bye motherboard so now i go direct from psu