Falcon Controller

Sebastien6221

New elf
So I am very new, havent even bought anything yet lol I plan on starting out with the falcon f16v3 ready to run. Would this be a good option for a decent display? Would i also be able to do a mega tree with just this one setup? I have a layout on xlights I made, but not entirely sure how many strings/nodes I will be using though. Just hoping I wont have to buy 2 of these setups.

Jay.S

Full time elf
The problems with these ready to run boxes is that you will run short on power. The F16 is an awesome controller (I have 2), but with one power supply only you are limited on the number of pixels you can run. I have seen a lot of large displays that run from 1 single F16, but you are going to want a lot more than just one power supply. a 12v 30a power supply is good for about 500 pixels at 100%, 1000 at 50% brightness. That's not enough for a mega tree.

I'd say you are better off buying the controller by itself, get a few power supplies and build your own box.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Find the controller/s that best fits your layout. Hard to answer that question without a little bit more info. Based upon the limited info given I would think F16v3 at the mega tree and a diff expansion with a few receivers might be the solution. Plan your layout before buying controllers. Post a pic of your layout and a little more info.

Sebastien6221

New elf
This is the layout i'm going to go with.

Attachments

• Layout 1.jpg
    Layout 1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 41

Jay.S

Full time elf
Your tree is a full 360 (judging from picture) but where it is placed, against the house, that's not needed. Nobody is going to see the back. So you can save yourself quite a bit of money there, potentially half the number of pixels (and mounting hardware). We would need to know how many pixels you have in that layout. How long are these runs of pixels (important for power injection)?

Adsy

Full time elf
Without seeing your house in daylight you could make use of the extra pixels from the back of the tree to make another focal prop on the other side of the property or dare i say it, go with a bigger and better tree

layzer1

New elf
I was going to go with r2r as well but after someone mention the same thing Jay indicated regarding power supplies. So I bought the controller separate and bought all the hardware from Wired watts to build my own which was a good learning experience. I have 2 power supplies stacked using the mounting kits from wiredwatts. Not to mention it was $100 cheaper to build myself and take pride in knowing I got it working :)

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I don't see why that layout would be a problem with a single F16v3 if you aren't scared of power injection. Might need a few F-Amps or null pixels. Hard to judge distances between models and size of yard with the pic. Like others mentioned a 360 tree as it appears isn't needed majority of the time. 180-270 degree is generally all the viewers can see.

Katekate

Senior elf
Like others mentioned a 360 tree as it appears isn't needed majority of the time. 180-270 degree is generally all the viewers can see.

had a couple of people who were surprised that my tree was only 180 when they saw it up close. people only see the front.

TerryK

Retired Elf
As others have indicated, more information is necessary. My first impression is a single F16 will handle the pixel load but additional power supplies will be needed. From a practical perspective, I think a pair of F16s would be easier to actually physically construct the layout. And since more supplies are likely necessary and you probably can't/would not want to squeeze them into the R2R box, I would suggest build from parts.

D1case

New elf
The Mega Tree has lots of pixels potentially all close to the power supplies and controller. You might want to look into 5V LEDs, with several power injection points. (5V require more injections, but you can get more pixels per controller). The tree pic looks like 16 or so strips for the 360. Only doing the front half was mentioned above, but instead of reducing the strips, think about increasing the number of strips in the front half for a more dense display.
I am thinking when people say more information is needed, you might offer the voltage, number of pixels per strip and number of strips, and I suggest planning for 30% brightness (you may go lower). Also thinking Controllers and power supplies tend to be mounted on the tree.
I did Like Bill Porter's Youtube post: " Electroluminosity Lights Behind the Scenes. How it's wired. " If you take an interest in 5V lights, you may want to look at his power injection lecture from VCS 2020.
Good luck

Last edited:

Sebastien6221

New elf
This is it in full brightness, don't mind the trash cans lol

Attachments

• House.jpg
    House.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 27

Sebastien6221

New elf
The Mega Tree has lots of pixels potentially all close to the power supplies and controller. You might want to look into 5V LEDs, with several power injection points. (5V require more injections, but you can get more pixels per controller). The tree pic looks like 16 or so strips for the 360. Only doing the front half was mentioned above, but instead of reducing the strips, think about increasing the number of strips in the front half for a more dense display.
I am thinking when people say more information is needed, you might offer the voltage, number of pixels per strip and number of strips, and I suggest planning for 30% brightness (you may go lower). Also thinking Controllers and power supplies tend to be mounted on the tree.
I did Like Bill Porter's Youtube post: " Electroluminosity Lights Behind the Scenes. How it's wired. " If you take an interest in 5V lights, you may want to look at his power injection lecture from VCS 2020.
Good luck
i'm wanting to go with 12v to possibly have less power injection for the setup, with the controller, its rated for 1024 pixels per port, i doubt that i will be needing a different controller, cause i doubt i will even come close to the max pixels for the controller. am thinking about the mega tree being 180 though cause it is right against the house.