Fan Wiring

Red

l kill you
just Quic Q, done a little sketch just to re-affirm lam on the right track when wiring up for a fan display with 2811 pixel strip.

Going to solder on a Data cable (Green) at the outer end of the 1st strip and loop back up sleeve to top, and loop to the start of the next strip.

+ & - will just be looped across as shown in diagram to allow for[attachimg=1] power

Attachments

• fan.png
    fan.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 94

battle79

Full time elf
Looks good to me Rudolf.

I can recommend getting a bag of the caps used on the strip to waterproof each cut end. I thread the cables through the holes in the cap and solder them on, then fill the cap and a little bit into the silicon sleeve with silicon and then squash it all together.

Alternately just use clear heat shrink and squirt silicon in before shrinking it.

Red

l kill you
yep, got a heap on order, water proofing is a big item to focus on for us too

i13

Dedicated elf
I agree with the end cap suggestion for waterproofing but I'd also suggest adding heatshrink on top of that to reduce physical movement at the end of the strip. Having made a starburst which was a relatively wide and heavy one, I found that the ends of the strip became damaged and the data didn't pass on due to a combination of the movement and me overheating the strip when soldering. The dual wall heatshrink sets solid and although it might not be clear, you 100% can't see it unless it overlaps one of the LEDs.