Fan Wiring

Discussion in 'The Development Lab' started by Rudolph, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Rudolph

Rudolph Apprentice Elf

just Quic Q, done a little sketch just to re-affirm lam on the right track when wiring up for a fan display with 2811 pixel strip.

Going to solder on a Data cable (Green) at the outer end of the 1st strip and loop back up sleeve to top, and loop to the start of the next strip.

+ & - will just be looped across as shown in diagram to allow for[attachimg=1] power

Attached Files:

• fan.png
      fan.png
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  2. battle79

battle79 Full Time Elf

Looks good to me Rudolf.

I can recommend getting a bag of the caps used on the strip to waterproof each cut end. I thread the cables through the holes in the cap and solder them on, then fill the cap and a little bit into the silicon sleeve with silicon and then squash it all together.

Alternately just use clear heat shrink and squirt silicon in before shrinking it.

3. OP
    OP
    Rudolph

Rudolph Apprentice Elf

yep, got a heap on order, water proofing is a big item to focus on for us too

4. i13

i13 Senior Elf

I agree with the end cap suggestion for waterproofing but I'd also suggest adding heatshrink on top of that to reduce physical movement at the end of the strip. Having made a starburst which was a relatively wide and heavy one, I found that the ends of the strip became damaged and the data didn't pass on due to a combination of the movement and me overheating the strip when soldering. The dual wall heatshrink sets solid and although it might not be clear, you 100% can't see it unless it overlaps one of the LEDs.

5. OP
    OP
    Rudolph

Rudolph Apprentice Elf

great thought i13