Feedback needed... what to do with my fence

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I have 6 sections of fence on the side of my house. Each section approximately 11-11.5 feet wide x 5 ft tall. Each section has had (8) of the 99 Daycor candy canes for the last few years and I'm over it. I'm thinking HD coro from Gilbert Engineering but not sure exactly what would look good. Plenty of Falcons and power supplies on the back of the fence so thats not an issue. Looking for some input on what would look good but not be too much. The 48 candy canes was just boring... iBjz_6-A.jpeg.jpg

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
I'm thinking that the main viewpoint for your show would be from the front of the house. To guide your visitors there, the fence side would be sparser, and less active than the front. I'm thinking of a scene (nativity set, train, Santa with sleigh and reindeer, woodland critters) or fixed lettering as the anchor. Sprinkle in a few other props and call it done (for now).

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
That's one of the things I really like about xLights. You can try the props in your layout, before you buy.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I'm thinking that the main viewpoint for your show would be from the front of the house. To guide your visitors there, the fence side would be sparser, and less active than the front. I'm thinking of a scene (nativity set, train, Santa with sleigh and reindeer, woodland critters) or fixed lettering as the anchor. Sprinkle in a few other props and call it done (for now).
There is no main viewpoint and if there was one this fence would be part of it. Cars park and watch from exactly where that picture was taken from. I would say majority of people viewing can see the fence I'm referencing as the majority of traffic and parking is on the street I took the picture from. I do like your idea though. I suppose I could do a different theme on each section of fence. I definitely need a nativity!

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
There is no main viewpoint and if there was one this fence would be part of it. Cars park and watch from exactly where that picture was taken from. I would say majority of people viewing can see the fence I'm referencing as the majority of traffic and parking is on the street I took the picture from. I do like your idea though. I suppose I could do a different theme on each section of fence. I definitely need a nativity!

Camels are hard to find in North America. Perhaps a moose instead?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I've been dwelling on ideas since I saw this thread.
Idea of a nativity scene is great, or some other 'scenes' for each fence section.

My thought is bringing some height to the side of the house.
At the moment you've got flood lights, a roof outline and window outline.
dan_side_of_house.JPG

This is what I've thought of. Excuse the terrible over laying of images.
dan_side_idea.JPG
  • Reindeer and sleigh to be on the fence and more Reindeer on the side of the house. As if they're traveling into the air.
  • Giving some height to this side is a flat mega tree on the chimney column (image is your main tree shared in the chat a while ago, I drew something over it so I had it in downloads).
  • Mentioned above is a nativity scene, I thought of using it on the fence in front of a flat mega tree. This means the mega tree star can be used with the nativity scene in sequencing.
  • Tossed in is some snow flakes, they work as fillers when the song isn't suited to either a sleigh or nativity lit.

This is an idea I have.
Although I'm cautious about items hanging on the house wall since there isn't any right now.

How 'radical' would you like to go with ideas?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
That is cool! I love the reindeer across the house. Mind if I "borrow" the idea?
I hesitate to suggest some presents under the tree too and maybe move the Nativity scene down a section?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have a fan made up with boring old candy canes with about 12 pixels in each and arranged with pairs of candycanes as hearts with 8 making up a fan. You could make up a few as you already have the left and right facing candycanes.

TerryK

Retired Elf
You may want to sit down Dan for my suggestion.

I agree with others that the side display should be less complex to help direct attention towards the property front. I would remove the canes and replace them with snowflakes, 1 or 2 per section, probably keep the stars on the posts. Low power floods along the fence outside edge enough to illuminate the fence but not overpower it. Behind the fence, snow machines fanned to throw up and over the fence into the floods.

The house, projection mapping, no props other than perhaps roof/window pixel outline and the mapping may do that as well. Mapping contents whatever you can dream up to throw on the home. It has a fairly smooth finish and is somewhat light in color so a mapping display should look pretty nice.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Thanks for the replies everybody. I have to say love @Mark_M 's idea. Not sure about a second mega tree but the rest looks spot on. I need to figure out Santa and Reindeer if I go that route...