Females have the POWER

Cee DeLights

New elf
HI guys,

So i've been (very slowly) building my lighting kit together - slowly amassing pixel strings , F48 controller, Diffo boards, Disto boards etc.

Thinking more about how these all "connect" together - in particular with regards to Power Injection.
I have come to use the phrase..... "Females have the POWER"..... :)

As often in life, Females are the more responsible ones amongst us males :)
And hence, as female connectors typically don't have power PIN's exposed, the female connectors have the POWER.
I suppose you can see this example with power extension cords, power boards etc.

So when I look to build my power/controller boxes, I have the Male connectors on the box side - while the female connectors are coming from the 'POWER' side.
Likewise, when putting pigtails on pixel strings, males are the start of the next string and females are the end of the string

Do you have the same the methodology of implementing Female and Male connectors ?

Last edited:

algerdes

Al Gerdes
We always use the "Females have the Power" as the guiding principle. More for safety, than anything else. Exposed live pins are not good, period.
Besides, If I don't acknowledge this, sleeping on the porch can be rough this time of year.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I treat all connections like a wall socket or power point. The wall is the female and you plug into this with an appliance (lights/controller) or extension cord (power injection) with male pins/plugs.

deanneat

New elf
As a young Electrician I was "lucky" enough to encounter a home made male plug extension lead. Both ends were male - someone decided to liven up their new house and switchboard using power points as the injection point from a building supply, I was booted off the switchboard - learned that testing was paramount to surviving idiocracy. The 25 metre lead was reduced to 10cm bits and left in the switchboard for the new owner - Yes female plugs have the power........

Cee DeLights

New elf
As a young Electrician I was "lucky" enough to encounter a home made male plug extension lead. Both ends were male - someone decided to liven up their new house and switchboard using power points as the injection point from a building supply, I was booted off the switchboard - learned that testing was paramount to surviving idiocracy. The 25 metre lead was reduced to 10cm bits and left in the switchboard for the new owner - Yes female plugs have the power........
Lucky indeed Dean !! Thanks for the insight :)

Cee DeLights

New elf
Does any use or know where to get Panel/Case Mounted Female Pigtail connectors?

I'm not a big fan of having the female pigtail cables coming out of the box (just my OCD)

There are of course other panel connector options around.
But rather than having a different set of connectors for the panel side and different set on the pigtails side, would be good to have them 'unified' :)