First Layout

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello,

I'm working on doing the layout for my very first show this year and would appreciate any feedback or comments. I'd like to keep things simple and have things that can easily be put up or removed. This is my last Christmas in the house and I will be moving next year. A little variety would be nice but trying to keep the overall budget down. I'm in the Midwest and we can get some severe cold and while my HOA has a strict need to remove decorations within 30 days of the holiday rule. I'm avoiding the second level due to the possible weather issues that come with it. Most of the light swill start going up for Halloween and can be up until almost the end of Jan. I have access to 3D printers and that can be an options.

So, here is my current house with what I have so far.

First layout.jpg

Thank You.
Dean

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Looks good

I would probably not have the horizontal outline above the garage and use those pixels for a couple of vertical lines on each side of your house.

But still looks neat with what you have planned

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
If you're moving house, then I'd avoid (as much as possible) anything that's particular to your current house, like roof and window outlines.
I'd look at some candy canes and/or mini trees and maybe a small 'megatree'.

Snitz87

Lights on Temira
Generous elf
As others have stated if you are moving, it might be better to add some other props which can be moved across to your new place later, but still it's a good layout.
But really it comes down to your choice, you could outline the windows and doors it just might mean you'll need to pop those pixels out next year on the new place.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
For the windows and doors I was planning to use 1/2" pvc in order to make borders around everything. I figured it's minimal loss of materials and normally would reuse the pvc for other things such as supports and what not.

I've not thought of doing vertical lines. Now I am looking up the cost of creating a small mega tree.

Thanks.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Go into the chat room they say, it's fun they say, it's helpful they say. Yup, here is the new first year layout.Layoutv2.jpg

tigerduck

1st year = 950pixel :-) PixLite 16 MkII Long Range
"Strange" question - as I do not understand "HOA" what is it ? Home owner association?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
"Strange" question - as I do not understand "HOA" what is it ? Home owner association?
Yes, it is a "Home Owners Association". Originally it was there to help take care of the common lands and areas but it's turned into a political tool. They keep voting and making restrictions on other peoples property rights. they have decoration by-laws that say you cannot put up "Holiday" decorations before 30 days of the holiday and all decorations have to be removed within 30 days of the holiday being over.

Being as I live in the midwest of the US we can have some rough January weather. One year it was below zero and we had a large snow and ice fall. They still sent letters to people about "Holiday" decorations. A lot of people stopped putting up decorations after that year and it looks less festive. If most things are props I can just remove them without having to climb.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
You should consider those parts of your house that will be obscured from view from the street - ie. you've a tree in the middle of your yard that blocks the windows behind? ... oh wait ... it's not an evergreen so there'll be no leaves on it come Christmas time? Ignore me :)

(But worth keeping in mind. I'm thinking about this now for my house, which dips down a little from street level so there's no benefit in me outlining the bottom of my windows, for instance, as they won't be seen.)

bpratt

Senior elf
(But worth keeping in mind. I'm thinking about this now for my house, which dips down a little from street level so there's no benefit in me outlining the bottom of my windows, for instance, as they won't be seen.)

Wouldn't the top part of your windows be out of view if people are looking down hill to your house ?

That's why in my case being UP a hill, I've moved the lower part of my window outlines up much higher so that they can be seen. :)

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
You should consider those parts of your house that will be obscured from view from the street - ie. you've a tree in the middle of your yard that blocks the windows behind? ... oh wait ... it's not an evergreen so there'll be no leaves on it come Christmas time? Ignore me :)

Honestly, I am keeping that in mind when I do the prop layouts. What you can and cannot see and what will be there. If you look on the left side of the front of the house there is a large bush and while the leaves will fall it will still be fairly hard to see through. That's why there is only a single wreath above it on the house. Also, unless you are directly in front of that tree the rest of the angles are clean. I live on a cul-de-sac so most views will not be strait on at all.

I won't need to worry about windows at all since I won't be in this house next year. :)

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Ok cool. I reckon the layout you're going for is pretty solid :thumbsup:

Wouldn't the top part of your windows be out of view if people are looking down hill to your house ?

That's why in my case being UP a hill, I've moved the lower part of my window outlines up much higher so that they can be seen. :)
It's not that extreme a decline. From street level, my lawn and garden area obscure about the first half metre of height of my house. Our front windows are sectioned horizontally in three panels, so I'll be outlining the top two and leaving the bottom third at it is only partially visible.

tigerduck

1st year = 950pixel :-) PixLite 16 MkII Long Range
Yes, it is a "Home Owners Association". Originally it was there to help take care of the common lands and areas but it's turned into a political tool. They keep voting and making restrictions on other peoples property rights. they have decoration by-laws that say you cannot put up "Holiday" decorations before 30 days of the holiday and all decorations have to be removed within 30 days of the holiday being over.

Being as I live in the midwest of the US we can have some rough January weather. One year it was below zero and we had a large snow and ice fall. They still sent letters to people about "Holiday" decorations. A lot of people stopped putting up decorations after that year and it looks less festive. If most things are props I can just remove them without having to climb.
OMG - sounds a bit horrible to me! There are always some people with no joy and love in their hearts who can do nothing but attempt to bring the same darkness to others.
Thanks for the explanation and if you are moving next year - put the deco up 35 days before and leave it as long as you want :) WHAT can they do ? :) HAVE FUN!

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.