First Time DMX Wiring Help

Lock Lights

New elf
Hi,
I am new to DMX wiring and I need help kicking things off. I have got a DMX36 board and I need help understanding how to wire the ligths into the board. I have standard lights from Big W that I would like to wire into the board.

Thanks

Lock Lights

New elf
pipersmall said:
Hi Lock Lights, welcome to ACL.
Have you had a look at the 101 Manual http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1889.0
Whereabouts in Vic are you?

Thanks for the response, I forgort to mention that I am new to electronics and I wanted to know if there is any kind of diagram from hooking up 3-Wire BigW Christmas lights into the DMX36 board so I could get a head start :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The Big W lights should have 3 wires, once you remove any controller, and these wires are a positive and 2 negatives. The positives of various strings go to the V+ terminal of the DMX36 outputs with the negatives either going to 1 or 2 channels depending on how many lights you have and whether you want "twinkling" or similar down the length of the lights. By trial and error you can work out which is positive and which is negative by connecting to a power supply. The lights won't be damaged by hooking up in reverse and you won't get any lights unless the +ve common of the lights is on the +ve of the power supply. Because the DMX36 is configured for 3 channels and a common you will need to group up a few +ve's from the lights and hook the into 1 V+ hole. If you do get stuck with something my phone number is on the back of the DMX36 manual.

Lock Lights

New elf
Okay I will have a go. As I said new to electronics and new to these forums so I apologise for not replying with a Thankyou to pipersmall for his welcome. My dad and I have a 100 odd sets of lights so I am sure we will be needing help again

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Everyone is here to help Lock which is why this forum is so popular. You should look at for details of the mini we have around May/June each year as its a great way to get to know some of the people on here as well as learn a lot of great stuff.