First time help?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello and welcome on your wonderful adventure!

The best thing to do is to read the "101 Lighting Manual" which was put together to provide a wealth of knowledge for someone first starting to understand everything that will go into a show.

while reading the manual if you have any questions feel free to search the site, post a question for clarification or come into the chat room. This is a great place to learn and make friends.

Welcome once more.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
My recommendation for this year is to find some local displays and ask lots of questions, behind the scenes tour, etc. I think you'll find most people in the hobby are more than willing to help out someone looking to get into it. Chat is also a great resource for simple questions as @Indigogyre mentioned

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just watched that video through - still very relevant despite being 4 years old. Nothing has substantially changed to the point where it invalidates what's being said.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Right, the general idea is in play. For the U.S. in 2022 the vendors may be different, and a little more is possible because it is easier than 4 years ago.

But unless you're a really fast learner, the coolest stuff you'd get to work by December would be in the Hammacher catalog... "music makes the lights dance" doesn't strictly require sequencing or any of that...

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Right, the general idea is in play. For the U.S. in 2022 the vendors may be different, and a little more is possible because it is easier than 4 years ago.

But unless you're a really fast learner, the coolest stuff you'd get to work by December would be in the Hammacher catalog... "music makes the lights dance" doesn't strictly require sequencing or any of that...
I know you're new to the hobby but it's not easier than it was 4 years ago. If anything, it's more difficult trying to start a display this time of year. Assuming the OP was looking for advice for 2023 anyways.

TerryK

Retired Elf
What do I need to start up a light show? I want a setup where the music makes the lights dance???.
Well first, welcome to ACL.

As already mentioned, while it is certainly possible to put something out for Christmas 2022, I suggest planning for Christmas 2023 instead. The ACL 101 Manual is a good place to begin and I would add watching the Canispater Christmas videos on YouTube as well. The Canispater videos are 'hands-on' and give a pretty good visual correlation to what is in the 101 Manual.

Also search the ACL Forum archives. There you will find questions/problems other individuals have encountered and solutions or 'work-arounds'. One last suggestion, I would delay any hardware purchases until you have a better feel for what will work well. That is, determine what hardware others have discovered that are or can be difficult to make work.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
One last suggestion, I would delay any hardware purchases until you have a better feel for what will work well. That is, determine what hardware others have discovered that are or can be difficult to make work.
Welcome to ACL!
^this is a good one. 10 years ago I came in with the same excitement as you eager to go and by Jan I purchased my first LOR AC controller. I never got it working as it wasn't what I actually NEEDED, it was what I thought I wanted at the time. Take the time to do some more research and formulate a plan of what you'd require.
Not everyone dumps thousands of $ on their first year, many add to their display each year.

Orlando1220

New elf
So I'm just triyng to get my lining of my house for now, so literally I need to know what I need haha, I have 500 pixels I have a 12v power supply I just fried a esp8266 contoller lol. So please help me what do I need to get, by the way the pixels I have are 12v

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Did you read the 101 Manual? Did you watch the video? What are your questions? Just saying "I need Help" implies that perhaps you have not done any research. Do you know why you fried the esp controller?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
There are a bunch of youtube videos by Dr.ZZzs that discuss using esp (DigUno, Dig-Quad) controllers and getting started with pixels. They are also good for initial learning.