First Timer - string lights & only two colours

Charger

Apprentice elf
Well this is my first year of sequencing and after a few years of having a static display made up of only two colours, I now realise that while it may look OK with all lights on, it is pretty boring as a sequenced display. That being said, I intend to introduce another colour next year. That's right - three colours!

I am not sure that I want to go down the route of pixels etc as I like the look of string lights, but I may need to reconsider this to bring in a bit more variety. Anyway here are two songs from my display. I would welcome any suggestions for improvement (even pixels). Thanks.

Let It Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziUfSOqWG-g

Midnight Blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpeeTb_giAc

i13

Dedicated elf
Well done Charger.

Are you aware that there are pixel strings often referred to as nodes? The display by lithgowlights is an example that uses them extensively. His videos are in the video section.

Nothing wrong with using traditional style strings though. I still occasionally add them to my display. It's just difficult to find ones that are compatible with DC controllers. They're incompatible if there's an 8 function controller AND only two wires going to the lights.

Charger

Apprentice elf
Thanks i13 I have been looking at the dumb rgb strings and yes they do look great but they are quite a bit more expensive than my other strings (for good reason mind you) Am I likely to get away with fewer lights because they are brighter. This would somewhat justify the expense. For example my mini trees use 250 leds - would I get similar illumination from say 100 rgbs?

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL , Charger.

Pixels give you so much of more choice. You can use a controller that supports both Pixels and also has a DMX output (The Pixlite 16 , Pixlite 4 are only some of many options) and therefore build on what you have already.

i13

Dedicated elf
There is quite a difference between dumb RGB strings and pixel strings. The dumb RGBs don't give you individual control along the length of the string. There might be other displays still up and running near you with these strings that you can see. Both pixels and dumb RGB are significantly brighter than store bought lights

It makes perfect sense to me if you want to stick with traditional lights as I use them extensively myself and they do look Christmassy. The reason for this is my display used to be static. I often get positive comments about the Christmassy look. I only use pixels as outlines and centrepieces that stand out. The only place I'd VERY strongly recommend pixels is anywhere you're thinking of putting a ropelight. Pixel strips are superior to ropelights in so many ways - better control, repairable, cuttable and extendable. There will never be any ropelights here again.

100 pixels probably would be sufficient for a tree that has 250 store bought lights. I predict you'll still get a larger total light output with the 100 pixels. I can't speak for 12V strings though. The effect will of course be different due to the smaller number of brighter lights. It might also be worth asking the seller for a custom spacing further apart if you don't want them to look too lined up. More power injection might be required with pixels further apart though.

The main reason I mentioned the pixel strings in the first place is that I wanted to be sure you knew that pixels aren't limited to strips only.