Fly By

MarcD

Full time elf
I happen to know one of the crew of one of the police helicopters. Last week, I sent him an e-mail suggesting he fly over our place on his way to or from their home base one night to check out our lights. Last night, the police chopper made and incredibly low pass over our house. Unfortunately, I was inside at the time.

I'm hoping he shot some footage and will send it to me. That would be so cool. Having official police video of my Christmas lights.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Cool, as long as that is the only reason the police need to video your lights.. :p

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
The footage would be cool. The sound proofing on your house must be good if you couldn't hear a helicopter flying over your house!

I hope they added to your show with the big search light whilst they were there.

MarcD

Full time elf
BundyRoy said:
The footage would be cool. The sound proofing on your house must be good if you couldn't hear a helicopter flying over your house!

I hope they added to your show with the big search light whilst they were there.

I certainly heard it. Damn thing rattled the windows. All the neighbours heard it too. I was at the back of the house and couldn't make it out to the lights in time. He didn't hang around, just made a low pass straight over the top. Probably on their way to catch some hoons or something.

caffeine

Full time elf
This was my test fly by of our street last night, plan to get a better run tonight if it stops raining... https://vimeo.com/149492049

Unfortunately there's a tree on the nature strip that makes it useless to see my place from the air (I'm on the left near the end of the video) but the street looks nice from above.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I love it when a whole street gets into the lights. Looks fantastic. I bet you have a great street Christmas party each year.

EmmienLightFan

One of few displays in the UK
caffeine said:
This was my test fly by of our street last night, plan to get a better run tonight if it stops raining...

Unfortunately there's a tree on the nature strip that makes it useless to see my place from the air (I'm on the left near the end of the video) but the street looks nice from above.

This thread was about helicopters, not drones, but very nice!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
We live near an airport (Albion Park) which has the rescue helicopters coming in and out from. A couple of years ago we had one of the helicopters do a fly around and hover looking towards our house for a good look at the lights. I must say that was a buzz.