FPP remote-- config issue?

spaulgal

Apprentice elf
I'm having an issue with a remote in my FPP system (it's a Picap) and I'm pretty sure it has to do with how I have it sent up in xlights or with how I outputted in FPP Connect.

When I log into the remote it is displaying the red flag and says "abnormal conditions UDP Output set to send data to myself.
When I log into the FPP master, multi sync, under this remote it says "Received DDP data from 192.168.16.89 . UDP Output set to send data to myself."

I set up this Picap as a controller in xlights so I could configure the model in Layout.
This Picap/FPP instance is set to Remote mode.
In FPP Connect, I set UDP to none for the Picap device.

Where am I striking out here?

Thanks!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Set the any "Remote" controller to "Active: xLights only" on the controller tab. This will prevent the Channel Output for UDP being generated for those controllers.

I take it that the master has been set up as a controller in xLights as well - if it's not controlling pixels directly (rather commanding other controllers) it shouldn't be set up as a controller in xLights.

1667687361435.png

spaulgal

Apprentice elf
Ok perfect thanks. I bet that's the piece I was missing and will try it now.
And no, the Master is not in the controllers list.
Thanks!

spaulgal

Apprentice elf
I made that change and am still having the same issue. I tried restarting, rendering, re outputting as well.
I even removed the new fseqs from both the master and remote and am still seeing the "Output set to send data to myself" error.
What might be happening?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
If you're not using 'Full Xlights control' it may not be removing configuration it doesnt neetd
On FPP, check under Channel Outputs - E1.31 - you will see a line which has the controller's IP address listed. Untick / remove that line.

spaulgal

Apprentice elf
I left “enable output” checked, but unchecked each of the E.131 outputs... and that worked
I don’t exactly get how it's working with the outputs unchecked, but it is.
Thanks!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
So the remote (and master) is reading the sequence data from the FSEQ file, and routes the data based on the channel numbers.

Lets say the remote is controlling DDP channel 1000-1299 - 300 ch, 100 pixels, spread over two 50ch pixel strings

On the Controller/Pixel String tab (eg Kulp) - you'll have pixel string 1 set to Ch 1000-1149, and pixel string 2 set to 1150-1299.
When the data is read, those pixels blink.
Now, if you have the E1.31 or DDP network output row set to channels 1000-1299 - the packet ALSO gets routed out to that IP address.
This is fine, if you want two controllers to do exactly the same thing.

But - the issue / warning here, is that because the data is being sent to itself (becasue it's own IP address is in the selection), it then _may_ take priority over the playing sequence, and FPP then follows the same channel routing logic on the incoming packet. Essentially a loop is formed, with conflicting data.
By disabling the E1.31/DDP output, you break the loop. The remote just reads the FSEQ, and outputs the data directly to its own outputs.