FPPD needs daily restart

MrCamo

New elf
Hey friends,
Long time reader, first time poster.
I am running my first show this year and am using a pi running FPP connected to a teensy via Usb.
Everything was great until a couple days ago when my show started not playing on schedule. FPP would show the playlist as running but no lights would be displaying.
They would only turn on after I manually restart FPPD. Any suggestions of what I can check to understand why this is happening? The confusing thing is everything looks good according to FPP.

Not sure if relevant but the pi stays on all day.
I did update my sequence the day it started happening, could this be an issue?
Thanks all

Martin Mueller

Light Addicted and proud of it.
Generous elf
You say you just restart FPPD and you do not restart the entire PI? I suspect your USB port is dropping out at some point and the FPPD(deamon) is not seeing the device reconnect event. As a temporary fix you might want to set up a cron job that reboots the PI an hour before the show and then ask this question on the FPP forum.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
When it comes to a Pi acting funny the first step is to always double check the power supply to it. Is it a properly sized power supply, is it still working properly. What version of pi is it?

I had issues with my pi dropping my usb sound connection and it was due to the port that was being used. I switched to a USB 3 port to provide additional power which resolved the issue. I leave my pi on 24/7 and have since it was setup on Dec 7th. The only time I've restarted the daemon on it was when a change required it. Otherwise it just stays power on without issues.

Dean

Martin Mueller

Light Addicted and proud of it.
Generous elf
You could also use an external USB powered hub (I use them for a lot of applications).

MrCamo

New elf
Thanks Martin and Dean.
Using the RP4 model B with the official power supply.
I reckon it could be a USB issue because I noticed an issue the other day saying the Serial output failed to load.
I will try a different USB port and a cron job for a temp fix, thanks for that.
Next year I play on changing over to e131 anyway so might be a short lived issue.
Thanks guys, will keep you posted if I find out anything more.