Frustrated newbie...

mrweiss52

New elf
I've been a member of the group for awhile. I've learned a lot, but I'm still a complete newbie with no actual hands on experience with rgb pixels, etc. I was hoping to include a 10ft mega tree in my Christmas 2022 (120v static all LED) display, but that's not going to happen. This past year I did get a new Falcon F16v4 controller (that was an unexpected surprise) and a Meanwell 12v 350w power supply, but that's it! So now I'm thinking about downsizing from the mega tree to something less complicated (and less expensive) for Christmas 2023, like the PixNode Tree mini-trees or PixNode CoroCane candy canes from HolidayCoro. I just want to build "SOMETHING" from start to finish and have it display properly! All insights and suggestions from the group will be appreciated...

merryoncherry

Senior elf
You are likely to get a lot of variety in responses to this. Watch videos of smaller displays and look for things you love. If you need advice, bring those to someone and ask the best way to achieve the same thing in small scale.

Only one 12v 350W supply isn't much and will constrain you to 1000-2000 pixels, if you can add a second you'd be able to use all 16 ports on the Falcon with fewer constraints.

If you're looking for the cheapest, most versatile props, I have some recommendations:
1. Arches. Get something small and cheap. Being in the States, you can get white PEX, slip a 2m RGB strip in it, stake it down, plug it into the controller, and call it done. Using the coro bullet arches will cost more, use more of your limited pixel power, and look out of balance with the rest of any smaller show.
2. Mini trees, spiral trees, vertical "peace" poles, or some combination, with tiny stars on them. They support a wide variety of effects, are pleasing to watch, very versatile with not many pixels
3. Snowflakes and/or spinners... but I say that because I love getting mesmerized by things that spin..

Notably absent from this list would be candy canes. I have some, yes, but they aren't tremendously versatile or pleasing to watch. I'd save them until the show's a bit bigger, but that's just me.

You didn't say whether this is on a house set back from the street, or can be close to the viewer. In either case, any horizontal house or yard outline you can add will allow side to side motion... and if you don't opt for peace poles or something vertical, then vertical outlines are a key add also.

Not sure you have enough power there to warrant icicles, the pixels and watts add up fast. Some of the RGB globes are pretty on gutters and windows, but the per pixel price is high.

Some people like singing faces and some hate them, you could squeeze one in if you really want one.

Matrixes are great, and versatile, but they take a lot of pixels, so may not be worth it for you. HD props are definitely not versatile enough and each one could take half your pixel budget, so would not recommend.

I got a lot of HolidayCoro stuff in my rookie year, 2021, and more this year. They execute well in the busy season, and most of the stuff they sold me held up. That said, they would not be my first stop for most coro props, such as snowflakes, peace poles, faces, or spiral trees, due to lack of variety and less xLights support. Their conical mini trees and mini stars are fine, and the strip inside my arches came from there. One thing they have that's a bit fun is PixelTrim, which has really small props, and can be a mini-show in and of itself, but it is tedious to work with and I shouldn't recommend it to someone who just wants something that works right away.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello,

Are mention Christmas 2022 and Christmas 2023, I'm thinking you mean this year for 2022? The mega tree is a huge investment of time and materials that might not be the best option for right now since it is so close to Christmas.

You can get as much pop with a bunch of smaller props that you build. The real question is how much money does your budget have for you to buy things. Having the controller is a huge step forward. Last y ear I ran my entire show off a single 500 watt power supply.

What area of the US are you located? There are several of us Yanks here that can try to help out. Come into the chat area since several of us are in there lurking a lot. It might take some time for us to notice but we eventually will.

My first show consisted of 2 arches, 10 small peace stakes, 5 large peace stakes, 2 medium snowflakes,2 small snowflakes, 2 small spinners,2 spiral trees, 1 wreath and a 8' Megatree.

Dean
edited to get a good image.

20220112_205239_02.jpg

mrweiss52

New elf
To answer some the questions in the two preceding posts, I live in Minnesota, USA. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the house yet (to import into X-Lights), because there is a large tree in the front yard that still has most of its canopy of leaves. My house is what they call a "modified 2-story" (the 2nd story is only over half of the first floor). The front elevation of the house is about 80 feet side to side with left side being a 3-car garage, and the right half is the first floor. The left side extends out from the right side about 23 feet. If you look down at my house from the "heavens" it's L-shaped. I live at the end of a cul de sac so my lot is pie shaped (it's very narrow by the street, and very wide in the back). The garage side of the house is setback from the road approximately 55 feet. My Christmas 2021 120v static all LED display consists of an inflatable. props, and the outline of the entire roofline and garage doors with warm white C9 LED bulbs. My wife and I are retired, and live on a fixed income, so I don't have an unlimited amount of money available (maybe I picked the wrong hobby). But when I do spend money it's usually on quality stuff that offer the best value. I'm not looking to "build" something for this year's (2022) display, but if I were able to complete something I would put it in this year's display (weather permitting). And once we get the annual "permanent" snow cover (usually shortly after Thanksgiving) it averages about 12 inches deep until April.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
This is going to be a tough year for you, with the short season and such.
I ran all AC in 2020 and had a plan to combine it with pixels in 2021, never managed to do much with that and went all pixels, so if you are giving any consideration to keeping the A/C stuff for this year you might want a light-o-rama... if you PM I'd likely give you one of those because I'll never use all of them. Should run fine from the DMX port on the Falcon.

Last edited:

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Most of us use xLights as the software of choice for doing our shows. I'd stay away from Holidaycoro since they do not have a lot of model support within xLights.

You mentioned you had a controller but does that include a box to put it in and pigtails to use it?

How much wiring experience do you have, cutting and soldering? This will determine how much you might want to do this year. If you are on a fixed budget I would recommend a few simpler props for this year that should be easy enough to put together.

Spiral trees from Gilbert Engineering USA, it uses a full 100 light string and looks nice and can be done quickly https://gilbertengineeringusa.com/products/spiral-tree?_pos=1&_sid=5d2f9281d&_ss=r

Peace Stakes can give some nice effects, are quick and simple also. I buy the 13 count led strings from Gilbert engineering. I used the peace stakes tri-fold props from them last year but decided to remake them into a smaller design with edging instead. (these are the small vertical light strips int he lower section of my picture)

Spinners can also be a nice add,

Look at different snowflakes, wreaths, spinners to see the number of lights needed to fill the prop and look for ones that can take a string that you do not need to cut and solder with pigtails.

I use Wired Watts for a lot of my show hardware and pigtails.

lastly, for this year a couple small orders might be easier but I'd recommend saving for large orders at one time. Coro while cheap gets expensive to ship due to the sizes of the boxes. Of course there is nothing stopping you from buying a sheet of coro locally and making your own props. :)

Dean

Last edited:

mrweiss52

New elf
I have the pixel controller and power supply, but as of yet I do not have an enclosure, pigtails, etc. I'm very comfortable cutting and soldering wire, as I spent 5+ decades in the construction trade working as a Master Plumber. As I said earlier, I'm okay with not having anything ready for my 2022 display, but I want to get some "hands on" experience working with pixels as soon as I can, even if means building and setting up some small props indoors in my basement workshop.

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would suggest a couple/several coro props from either Gilbert Engineering or Boscoyo. With the controller and supply you already have, while a bit aggressive, you still have time for a small Christmas display this year. I suggest avoiding the Amazon RGB pixels (generally lower build quality). For pixels somewhat on short notice I'd probably look at Wally's Lights or Wired Watts. RGB Man sometimes has stock but most of his are drop shipped out of China. These vendors will typically have pigtails and extensions that will or can work depending upon how you want to drive/power your display. Fuse blocks, fuses, bus bars, and other small associated items can be obtained from various electronics vendors (Mouser Electronics, Allied Electronics, Newark) or Amazon.

Look through the ACL 101 Manual if you have not yet done so. Also, search the ACL Forums. Numerous discussions are archived regarding cable, fuse blocks, fusing, power injection, pigtails, 5 Volt versus 12 Volt Resistor versus Regulated pixels; pretty much you name it there has been a discussion about it.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Now I'm feeling foolish, but I can't figure out how to PM you.
Pictures make conversations easier! Next to your name at the top is a small envelope. Click that to go to the Conversation section and then click start conversation.

pm.png

Nothing wrong with starting small and using lights in your basement shop. I bought a couple small controllers and small items fall of 2020 year and gained experience all year for my first show in 2021.

Shoot Merry a PM and between the 2 of us I think we can work out sending you a small care package with misc. bits and bobs to at least get started.

Dean