Funny things people say at your Christmas Light Display

Jimbo

Full time elf
Amongst the joy of the Christmas light display season, when standing out the front watching people i often over hear various conversations, which I don't think people who are talking near by realise the person who is running the display is standing right next to them.

So to honor these people I thought I would start a new thread where you could post some of the more funnier things (and sometimes negative) siad for us all to share. Here a few from the recent nights from me:

1. Wow this is good. But we can do this easily as well. George is an electrician so he can set it up and run it all easily. Ours would be a lot better as well.

2. They should be charging the owner for the carbon emissions caused by this light display. It is an excessive use of energy and a waste. Christmas lights should wither be banned or taxed.

Merry Christmas!

mborg10

Michael Borg
I love the one....
Anyone can do that if they know how. Well derr

People are always amazed and ask "wow how do you get your own radio station" my response is I buy a $100 transmitter from eBay and plug it in.
Or I had some people come past at 12.05 and said I need to show the kids the lights. I told them 8.00 tomorrow and they said but we are here now. That's when the father in law said get ya bloody kids to bed.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Haha yes I have one also we have many people come bye and ask if our lights are running off our solar panels on the roof as we display a sign for our installer . Hey look it helps but the people believe they are running solely on solar energy little hard at night until lunar panels are invented anyways lol

Wolfie

Full time elf
Had one last night...

"I would like to have something like this. How may hours did it take you to set that up today?"

Rofl. "About a month and I am STILL not done."

Followed by a blank stare as the answer began to sink in.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
"Oh, there is a bulb out over there".

Im saying to myself, what about the other thousands that are on.

And you dont think we have seen the bulb out....it is something that really stands out for us im sure , we see every little fault, but the majority dont even care...

scamper

Dedicated elf
I keep getting the same one, mainly from older folk that just don't understand synchronising.

"Oh, that (element) is not working.... Oh wait, it is working again"

after the first couple of times trying to explain, now I just smile.

elnino

Full time elf
him: Why do you have 10 trees in the font yard?
Me: Sorry?
Him: What's the significance of 10 trees?
Me: Umm, I like even numbers
him: Ohh, I thought it must be some biblical thing.
Me: No, 10 trees just seemed about right to fill the yard.
him: It probably does mean something though
Me: ok.

I also overheard a comment one time: "I bet these people go to bed reading the bible every night, like real bible basher people"

Ummm, I'm more of an athiest TBH...

"That strip is hanging down a bit" - "You're more than welcome to bring your 5m ladder and come and fix it"!

B_P_J

Full time elf
Last night we had 4 full carloads of Teenagers out the front cheering and all posing in Photos, I should have gone out when they did the big group shot, lol, oh and that was in the pouring rain, lol,
We also got a really sweet thank you note in the letterbox the other day, really brings on the Christmas spirit.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
People walk around our yard in amongst the lights, checking out the inflatables, see virtual Santa, bubble machine firing out bubbles everwhere, kids playing under the snow machine, synchronized lights...... and I hear one guy on leaving say "They should make it more interactive."

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
I get lots of questions about the virtual santa.
" is it a real person?"
" is it a hologram?"
" Is it a 'huge' TV?" (I wish!)
" oh, I thought it was you dressed up..." ( note to self start diet...)
and of course "how does it work?"

my standard answer is it is a direct internet link to the north pole.... ::)

I had another that I still giggle at
"what?!, you made it ? ( referring to the whole display) are you a boilermaker?" :-\

MarcD

Full time elf
I get annoyed by parents asking loudly if there's a projector inside while their kids are right in front of them staring in amazement at Santa in the house. One day I'm just going to say "Of course. Everyone knows Santa isn't real."

scamper

Dedicated elf
MarcD said:
I get annoyed by parents asking loudly if there's a projector inside while their kids are right in front of them staring in amazement at Santa in the house. One day I'm just going to say "Of course. Everyone knows Santa isn't real."

funny I just wrote that on another post.
When they ask if it a projector, I simply say, No. it is Santa!

Karob

Let there be Light!
I get the standard questions every night, almost want to hit playback or just post a sign somewhere.

Are you a Electrician?

How long does it take?

Is it to music?

Did you have to buy the radio station?

Is that real snow?

We get a lot of good comments too which help me get through the times when things do not want to work..

MarcD

Full time elf
We get lots of repetitive questions too:

How long does it take to put up?
Months of planning and four full weekends to put up, followed by constant tweaking.

It must bump up your power bill?
Not really. It's all low voltage stuff and is only on for three hours each night.

Did you build the sleigh yourself?
Yes, with help from family.

Did you build the dashboard in the sleigh?
Yes. It took six months of planning and construction. It's been carefully designed to be interactive, educational, informative and entertaining.

Did you win the competition?
We don't enter competitions. We just do it so you and your kids have something to enjoy.

Kids, don't go in the sleigh.
No kids, get in the sleigh. Mum and dad too if you want.

Kids, don't touch anything in the sleigh.
No kids, touch everything in the sleigh. That's why we built it.

When is Santa coming to visit this year?
Considering Santa was overrun with kids last year, he's not keen on coming back again.