Gaps on effects when importing sequences

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
Hi Everyone, i have tried to purchase a sequence effect and imported to may own layout . The result is not that really good and notice some gaps within the song without any effects or lights at all ? any hints why this it is happening, any solutions to avoid it or worse case any hints to fill the gaps on effects ? thanks a lot .

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
At a guess, did you map all the source props to your own ones? The original probably only has 1 or two props with effects at this point, and those weren't mapped to your layout.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
At a guess, did you map all the source props to your own ones? The original probably only has 1 or two props with effects at this point, and those weren't mapped to your layout.
Hi sky master, should i drag “all “ the models from the source of original sequence? what i did is i matched all my props with the same at least similar or nearest to what i think will work to my props and did put all of the source props to my layout . please confirm and i will try .. thanks a lot!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Correct, that would be best.

You can always extract the zip, temporarily change your show directory to the unzipped one, and open the sequence. Then you can see the exact effects on the original layout. From there, you can then have a go at determining which effects you would like to see on which prop on your layout. Switch back to your show directory, and re-run the import.

If I made a sequence, and half the sequence had say snowflakes, and the other half were mini-trees, and you only use the mini-trees, you'd be missing half my effects. You might determine that the effects that I use on my flakes might be good on your spinners, for example.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Like Sky said, there are probably effects on elements you didn't map. To do a thorough mapping job, a lot of people open a second xLights window so they can review the source sequence and layout and make sure they get the right stuff mapped.

Some also put dummy props in the layout so that all effects can be mapped, then cut+paste the effects onto other models after mapping.

This is less common, but if you have very few props, you can add submodels or groups to your layout or you can map the effects more than once (with the delete existing unchecked) to layer effects from multiple source props onto yours.

If you can describe the situation in more detail, we probably can suggest a video.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
Like Sky said, there are probably effects on elements you didn't map. To do a thorough mapping job, a lot of people open a second xLights window so they can review the source sequence and layout and make sure they get the right stuff mapped.

Some also put dummy props in the layout so that all effects can be mapped, then cut+paste the effects onto other models after mapping.

This is less common, but if you have very few props, you can add submodels or groups to your layout or you can map the effects more than once (with the delete existing unchecked) to layer effects from multiple source props onto yours.

If you can describe the situation in more detail, we probably can suggest a video.
hi merry, after saving a mapping , i go back to may lay out to do a dummy props so everything on the source will be copied to my own layout , how can i go back to that mapping file ? when i try to open sequence under sequence menu , i cant find it inside the x light software but i can still that file on my document? and if i have mapped file save the other day - how can i open it again to continue or to edit it again ? from the x light software which one should shoud i do to go back to that files again ? thanks

Cranzy

Full time elf
hi merry, after saving a mapping , i go back to may lay out to do a dummy props so everything on the source will be copied to my own layout , how can i go back to that mapping file ? when i try to open sequence under sequence menu , i cant find it inside the x light software but i can still that file on my document? and if i have mapped file save the other day - how can i open it again to continue or to edit it again ? from the x light software which one should shoud i do to go back to that files again ? thanks
If you have imported a sequence and you are back on your layout, you can import again by going on the menu option: Import -> Import Sequence. You select the sequence file you are importing. You can load an existing mapping file if you have one saved.

I am not sure exactly how far you have got so far with importing a sequence. Happy to help on a zoom call if you get stuck.
I will be doing a in depth importing sequence presentation at the Perth Mini.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
If you have imported a sequence and you are back on your layout, you can import again by going on the menu option: Import -> Import Sequence. You select the sequence file you are importing. You can load an existing mapping file if you have one saved.

I am not sure exactly how far you have got so far with importing a sequence. Happy to help on a zoom call if you get stuck.
I will be doing a in depth importing sequence presentation at the Perth Mini.
found it ! thanks

ermarquez

Apprentice elf

hi , i did as you said but unfortunately there are still gaps - no lights and effects on some parts

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Most sequencing is done at the group level. Do you have the same groups as the sequencer? If so, you may need to check that you have the correct props in each of those groups. Also, can you tell us what sequence you are mapping, including where you got it? It's likely someone else has mapped it and might have some insight.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf

Most sequencing is done at the group level. Do you have the same groups as the sequencer? If so, you may need to check that you have the correct props in each of those groups. Also, can you tell us what sequence you are mapping, including where you got it? It's likely someone else has mapped it and might have some insight.
hi Cargo , it’s carols of the bells by david foster from innovative sequence. thanks

Attachments

• 44A5944C-F88C-4F0B-9BE6-65F4D322A189.jpeg
    44A5944C-F88C-4F0B-9BE6-65F4D322A189.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 8EA732C9-8F3B-406E-B9E1-ACC58FF8F4A3.jpeg
    8EA732C9-8F3B-406E-B9E1-ACC58FF8F4A3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • FCBBDD6E-161D-4053-AE5D-EC7D6909AA3F.jpeg
    FCBBDD6E-161D-4053-AE5D-EC7D6909AA3F.jpeg
    986.2 KB · Views: 11

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
You have mapped ALL and ALL NO MEGA TREES to individual props. You need a group with everything in it to map ALL to, and another with everything that isn't a mega tree to map ALL NO MEGA TREES to. That's your first issue. You may need some other adjustments, but that will make a huge difference.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
One other tip I see immediately is that you didn't map the submodels under the EFLakes. You can tell that they are black on the right, rather than gray, so they haven't been used in the mapping yet. Click the > on the left of the target EFLake to open it so you can drag the rest of the effects on.

Now, there are two interesting things you can save, the sequence (.xsq), and the mapping list that you used to do the import (.xmap). That .xmap can be saved and loaded from the "Load Mapping" and "Save Mapping" buttons at the bottom of the import dialog. That's the best way to pick up where you left off.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
You have mapped ALL and ALL NO MEGA TREES to individual props. You need a group with everything in it to map ALL to, and another with everything that isn't a mega tree to map ALL NO MEGA TREES to. That's your first issue. You may need some other adjustments, but that will make a huge difference.
hi cargo , yes i do not have a group yet on my lay out and don’t know yet how to do it . can you tell me how to make that ? will try when i come back home . thanks

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
There are several ways to create groups.

In the Layout tab, you can select all of your props (by holding down ctrl and clicking on each one) then right-click one of them and click "create group." You can then name the group. ALL works, or Whole Display, or something similar to indicate that it's all of your props. You'll then need to create a second one with everything but your mega tree(s).

Alternatively, you can right-click in the Model/Group box in the top left of the Layout tab and click "Add Empty Group." You can then name the group, and while it is selected, you can select everything on the left side in the bottom left and click the arrow to move it over to the "Models in Group" box.

There are other methods, but those two are probably the simplest.