Garage matrix

Junior

Full time elf
Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. Torn between doing a matrix on my garage door or mega tree. Matrix may have the edge. Has anyone here done in from Australia. If so what did you need and how much did it cost you? I have a normal 6 by 6 garage. I have a video of the door closing its one panel door that goes up and down as one panel. Video too large to post. Not to sure I know what im in for but keen to start early for next year to figure it out. Can send video via fb if needed. Junior Ngatuakana is my name on fb.

Attachments

• 20181220_094418.jpg
    20181220_094418.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I think Matrix is the go. You can make so many different affects on one pattern including images. Like Brad said, you might not be able to move that easily to get the car in and out though

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Both a matrix and a megatree are great additions to a display. The issue I see with the matrix "ON" the garage door is how to power and control it without the wires getting caught in the door mechanism - assuming you still want to use it during December...

darylc

404 darylc not found
There was a guy down Camden way that had done exactly this, a huge matrix in front of his door that still let his cars into the garage somehow

Kitman

Full time elf
My first thought is control box mounted on the back of the door that way the wires running from the control box would go from the back of the door to the front of the door, this wouldn't impact the door function, it really depends on what gaps you have around the door as to how much room you have to run wires. Your only issue is then the power cable and making sure it doesn't get snagged on anything and is long enough to allow the door to open and close, perhaps suspending it from the ceiling using some Bungie cables to allow movement would be the way to go?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I would make up the matrix as one unit on a board or something similar and mount large magnets to the back of the matrix then it will just "stick" to the garage door. Put controller on the back. Just have to be careful how thick the matrix is so as it doesn't bind on the roof when the door opens.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.