Glitching Roof Line

johnalex1985

New elf
Hi Guys,

Sorry I know this has probably been asked a million times. I have ws2811 strip on my roof line and other outlines of the house. Everything was working perfectly and then after a week's worth of rain and not testing anything my roof line has started glitching out while I'm testing in xlights. I'm using a Pixlite 16 controller so I have tested through the advatek assistant on both a RGBW cycle as well as all white. Nothing seems to shift to another colour or glitch out when on white however on the RGBW cycle after about 2 minutes of testing I have the same problem. There are no null pixels on this model, so maybe something I could try although it was working perfectly before. Coincidence from the week of rain? Or can it look like if water gets in? Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-075609.png
    Screenshot_20211113-075609.png
    711.2 KB · Views: 13

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Yes, we get thunderstorms in my area that dumps a heap of rain and so afterwards if I get glitching I go up with a can of WD40 and a can of compressed air and clean out the connectors.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
It seems like the water from the rain has caused issues, and of all places, it has to be on the roof! I feel your frustration. I would first test it on another port to see if the problem follows.
If it still looks like HoHoHo show, trying drying out the pixels with a hair dryer or air in a can. If you can't see water in anything, replace your cabling.

johnalex1985

New elf
All the strip was already in the sealed tube and looked quite good (except that the waterproof tubing does look a little thin.) On closer inspection of some of the strip it doesn't look like water has gotten in anywhere. Perhaps connectors and cables? Might give that a test first before ripping down all the strip that is up there. Aghhh, too many problems too close to Christmas 🤪🤣

Zuseleets

Full time elf
All the strip was already in the sealed tube and looked quite good (except that the waterproof tubing does look a little thin.) On closer inspection of some of the strip it doesn't look like water has gotten in anywhere. Perhaps connectors and cables? Might give that a test first before ripping down all the strip that is up there. Aghhh, too many problems too close to Christmas 🤪🤣
It's possibly in your cables. I had the same issue one year. All the strip was dry. Turned out the cable was full of water. The moment we replaced it, it was fixed.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
If replacing the cables dont work, look at your ground wire connections. Glitchy lights can be caused be loose connections too.

i13

Dedicated elf
My first thought is that there's probably water inside the sheath of a strip somewhere. I have had strips arrive in the past without enough silicone glue at each end to make them waterproof. Fortunately I noticed and added more before using them.