Good Service from LOR

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Not sure if it is the done thing on this forum to share stories of good service but here goes. As you are probably aware I have just ordered the starter package from LOR.

It started when I got the email saying the mad grab sale was on. The trouble was I only had a couple of days notice so I didn't really have much time to research what I needed or what was best. Anyway, the sale day came and I jumped in hook line and sinker. Of course it was just after I had purchased that I noticed the sign that said only US voltage equipment was sold in the sale. I should have twigged when there was no option in the sale to choose AU plugs etc but I was too excited. I did however put a note in my sale order saying I would like the AU plugs and was willing to pay the extra to get them.

I was now in a jam where I had just paid a US company I knew very little about, the best part of $500 for something that was useless (or at least would cost more to rectify) and I didn't know if they would refund my money. I then sent LOR an email saying I had just noticed that the sale didn't have AU gear and that I recognised this was my mistake not theirs but could they please see it in their hearts to give me a refund. I asked for a refund with the realistic hope that they might give me a store credit that I could then use in the summer sale.

I had that sick uneasy feeling all night waiting for the response. You know the one where you know you will have to tell the wife you have wasted another $500 on a hobby and this time you didn't even get something you could use.

Next morning I got a response from LOR saying they would honour the sale order and convert it to AU for the normal cost of $20. Maybe it's not hard for them to do, I'm not sure. They didn't have to do it but I'm sure glad they did and I thought it was a good example of good customer service. It also said in the sale it would take 4-6 weeks before shipping. Mine was a special order and it was shipped after a week. Another plus.

Thank you LOR for what I see as going above and beyond.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Thats fantastic Roy, they are a great customer service company, many others could learn from them.

I fried a couple of components on my LOR1602W (240v in steel enclosure) controller last year (purchased 2yrs ago).

I emailed LOR asking for the specs of the board so I could get replacement SMD's.

They were slightly confused when I showed them pictures and told them the SMD numbers off the board.

Turns out I actually in a sense had a 110v board so not only did they tell me the SMD numbers they sent me an entirely new 240v replacement board for free!!!

Which reminds me, better get onto selling it :)

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
LOR products are for people who want a quality ready made product with great service. The trade off is it costs significantly more to go LOR. I am glad to see they sorted it out for you.

BTW what lights are you going to use on this controller?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Kaden, unfortunately I don't have many lights yet. I basically have 16 sets of LED strings (max of 600 lights in a string) although some are in reindeers and candy canes and a star. So I have a tiny little bit of variety. Of course they all have the big W type multi function controller that I now have to solder a bridge on. Thanks to Wiki I know how to do that now.

I also have 2 10m smart LED strip lights. I'm just in the process of fathoming what I need to control these now. I think they have a 2811 IC.

All my string lights with the exception of the star and candy canes come from Big W. The others ebay. Now I have discovered the whole new world of Ray Wu.

My plan for this year is to work with what I have to get a better feel for the operation and what is good/bad. Then maybe expand the smart led strip repertoire and go down the DC controller route with the string lights. The "maybe" is not about whether there will be an expansion just the what with part.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Roy, that's great to hear how LOR treated you so well. They are a more expensive option, but as you've seen they do offer good customer service.

Bird

LOR user
That's good news Roy. As already stated, you get what you pay for. :)
I have had two occasions to contact their customer service in the past 4 years for minor issues in the grand scheme of things, but both times got great service. :)

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I started with LOR and used them for a better part of 5 years. I usually waited until the summer sales to buy them or bought them in packages to bring the pricing down.

The end result was a win in a Contest, so it was worth it.

Their customer support has been fabulous.... I have had several things break under warranty and they quickly replaced it with no questions asked.

Glad to see they are still giving good customer service

This year, the game changes, a lot of my incandescent lighting will become pixels, so the basic LOR stuff will get faded out or used for other things.

I got a lot of props to build

-Blu

King1

New elf
My experience was also really good. I still remember their services.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Had a little hiccup with my LOR experience. The parcel arrived yesterday. Ripped it open with high expectations only to find the cables required to connect it to the computer had been left out. Everything else looks good. Anyway sent an email to LOR teling them what I was missing (cat 5 cable and usb dongle converter thing). Woke up this morning to an email from LOR apologising for the mistake and a tracking number saying they had already sent the missing equipment. So all good. Will just be plugging in my controller on Anzac weekend instead of Easter weekend. Hopefully it will still make it in time with the public holidays.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Good to hear.

in the future you can get a J1sys D2 (E1.31 to DMX bridge) along with a LOR X-over and convert that over to E1.31

-Blu

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Blu,

If I wasn't already overloaded trying to understand what I am trying to do I would ask for further details on what that means. I suspect it will mean more once I have actually used the gear. Please don't waste your time explaining it. I only have so much memory up top and it is approaching capacity already. I feel like I'm nearly at the point where everything new I take in is displacing another bit of info that I needed to keep. All good fun though.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
BundyRoy said:
Thanks Blu,

If I wasn't already overloaded trying to understand what I am trying to do I would ask for further details on what that means. I suspect it will mean more once I have actually used the gear. Please don't waste your time explaining it. I only have so much memory up top and it is approaching capacity already. I feel like I'm nearly at the point where everything new I take in is displacing another bit of info that I needed to keep. All good fun though.

Don't worry, it will all sink in quickly once you get going. When it is all theory it is hard to grasp.

BTW I use a E1.31 to DMX bridge with LOR so when you are capable of more information we will get you going quickly (as well as show you the alternatives).