Goodbye. Have now left ACL

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Due to recent changes I find myself in a position where I feel I have to leave ACL. Yesterday I notified the staff and today I have begun the process and this is the final step. This is my final post on ACL on my final visit to ACL. I will still be maintaining my website and I will still be at the Melbourne mini. My email is no longer linked to ACL so any personal messages or topic replies will no longer be forwarded to me. My contact details are on my website and on the back of all my user manuals.
In the little over 5 years that I have been on ACL I have had an amazing time. I have met some amazing people, have learned an amazing amount about Chrissy lights which precipitated me into making Christmas light controllers and have helped dozens (possibly hundreds) with info to get their displays up and running. If you can get to 1 of the lighting minis in Australia I highly recommend them. They are where I learned a lot about lighting networks, sequencers and lights. A lot of what I learned and knew got transferred into the ACL 101 firstly as a proof reader and finally as a co-author of the revised version. The baton will now be passed to someone else for any future revisions. As a reference for Christmas light noobs it really is without parallel.
My passion for Chrissy lights continues but my own personal frustrations are part of why I am leaving ACL. I have had a long history of frustration with things blinky light related. This includes lack of support/documentation for pretty well all J1 Sys boards, lack of stability and eventually a lack of support/info for LSP. Because I am against wasting time and money I was for a long time a proponent of LOR software, but not the AC boards as they are so expensive and control dangerous voltage lights, or alternatively Vixen 2. I still feel the LOR software offers the fastest route to get your lights flashing but it is expensive and so far behind the features of Xlights that no-one should contemplate it these days.

Finally I would like to thank just a few of the people who have made ACL what it is today
Aussiephil for creating ACL and hosting it for a long time
Fasteddy for holding down the fort for a long time and for creating the ACL 101
RyansChristmasLights for being the ACL tech guru who has kept things ticking over
David_AVD who has shared an enormous amount of knowledge and for being among the 1st to bring many new Christmas boards to the general public

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I know Alan won't see my reply, but I'm sad that he's chosen to leave ACL. He has his reasons and I respect that.

Although he and I will continue to chat outside of ACL, I'll still miss his posts here.

He's been an enormous help to those of us in the hobby and has some great products on his site. I urge you all to continue to support him through his web site.

Devo

Apprentice elf
Alan, you are a part of the ACL furniture - this cannot be true!!

However if it is indeed true, might I regretfully take the (very sad) opportunity pass on my sincere thanks to you for all the work you have done for this community over the years. You have been a tireless advocate for DIY blinky and your work and efforts in helping to organise the Melbourne Mini event each year has been very greatly appreciated. We wish you every success in your future endeavours, and look I forward to crossing paths with you again sometime in the future.

Best wishes from all of us at Advatek.

roo

Full time elf
Well thats a BIG BIG shamne. Sorry to hear :-[ Have been a great help listening and answering my questions in private. Will surely be missed. Take care
Cheers roo

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is very sad news indeed but ill be trying hard to convince Alan to reconsider this decision

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Wow, I'm in a bit of shock!
I'm sure Alan will have his reasons and I will be sad to see him leave the group but I will publicly say a massive THANK YOU goes to Alan for all the guidance he has given me over the past few years. I certainly wouldn't have much of a display if it weren't for his knowledge and information (I think I made 4-5 orders through his website last year!) and I'll continue to shop with him as his boards suit my needs, are at a great price and I know I'll get support whenever I need it.
Looking forward to catching up at the mini.
Cheers, Graham

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Did someone hack your computer? I refuse to believe this. Come on back Alan we need you. My CLAP just wont be the same.

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I read through this message expecting a premature "April's Fools" (thought maybe you aussies celebrated early)
Really sad to hear this news, Alan has always been an incredible resource of information.
One of my 1st group buys was with Alan and his strobes. When the boards were found to have some of the pics installed upside down (absolutely no fault of his and I was just glad to find out about the issue so I could fix them), Alan shipped me pre-programmed pics along with a Christmas card! I think that says it all An absolutely stand up guy! Will be missed!

gerry

Senior elf
I am not sure why Alan has left ... but I hope that at some stage he does come back ! Besides all his help on the ACL site , he was most helpful to so many people including me . He is right in this post on this thread that many many people would have been nudged on their way thanks to him.

B_P_J

Full time elf
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Alan was one of the first people I got to know on here and pointed me in the right direction in how to setup my lights, without his words of wisdom and knowledge I may never have gone further into loving all things blinky, my first purchase was one of his DC boards and then I was hooked,
Alan I know you wont see this but your going to missed deeply, I wish you all the best with your future and hope one day our paths will cross again, I will be keeping an eye on the HPV's and hope to see yours floating around.
Good luck and all the best.
Brad J

multicast

Senior elf
Devo said:
Alan, you are a part of the ACL furniture - this cannot be true!!

However if it is indeed true, might I regretfully take the (very sad) opportunity pass on my sincere thanks to you for all the work you have done for this community over the years. You have been a tireless advocate for DIY blinky and your work and efforts in helping to organise the Melbourne Mini event each year has been very greatly appreciated. We wish you every success in your future endeavours, and look I forward to crossing paths with you again sometime in the future.

Best wishes from all of us at Advatek.

^^^ Kind words from a Quality Vendor

multicast

Senior elf
gerry said:
I am not sure why Alan has left ... but I hope that at some stage he does come back ! Besides all his help on the ACL site , he was most helpful to so many people including me . He is right in this post on this thread that many many people would have been nudged on their way thanks to him.

AAH said:
Due to recent changes I find myself in a position where I feel I have to leave ACL

Maybe need to look at what recently changed to decode this puzzle.