Greetings from Munno Para South Australia

Kitman

Full time elf
Hey all, recently joined the ACL Community as I want to get into computer controlled lights. I have a fairly decent amount of lights that I normally setup every year but want to build myself a spiral mega tree and control it from a PC. I know a reasonable amount about electronics, can wield a soldering iron with minimal effort and can work with circuit boards without many issues. However I have no idea where to start with this stuff.
I was thinking of going with some kind of DC controller and then making sure I get DC lights to run off it. I saw that Big W now have extension sets of lights that you can plug up to your existing Big W lights which means no controller to remove from the strings which I think is great but not sure if anyway has added these to their displays.

I have been reading the 101 manual but would like some input from other members on what they recommend I should start with controller wise and power supplies as I never was good with numbers.

adski

Dave Brown
Welcome to ACL. I was in your neck of the woods yesterday evening checking out the lights on Chellaston Rd. There are a number of us out in the Northern areas who can help with ideas and suggestions. Everyone's pretty busy setting up their shows at the moment, but I'll bet you'll still find a few active in chat - give it a try.

Dave
(Two Wells)

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome44.gif

Kitman

Full time elf
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will certainly jump on chat at some stage soon. I am not even sure when I will be setting up my lights this year, was hoping this weekend but the weather has been unkind today and the same tomorrow. I have a new addition to add to my roof this year so I really want to put some stuff up won't get my spiral tree this year but was going to try and get some of the big W controller-less strings before or after xmas if they will do the job.

adski

Dave Brown
Actually, you're probably better off buying the 200-led strings and throwing away the controllers:

100-led extension string costs $12 ==> $24 for 200 leds
200-led string costs only $20 and you get a cable and connector that you can use

(assuming they're the same as previous years)

Dave

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL lots of great help and advice from a bunch of great members. You have 12 months to prepare so start now as time does go very quickly

Boof63

Senior elf
Head here to the ACL Manual- all the good oil and absolutely FREE!!!!!
Go to Forums> The Learning Centre>AusChristmas Lighting 101 Manual
Heaps of info and will have running leds next year easy peasy. More bang for your buck compared to Big W strings and what you can do with'em.
Cheers Boof63
(Kadina)