Greetings From The USA

Harbs

New elf
Hello To All !!! Greeting from the state of OHIO!!! I really enjoy watching the great videos of the
Aus displays.

I have been doing animated Christmas displays for 9 years. Using LOR controllers.
I have been gradually changing over to RGB. I want to take the leap into pixels and would like to do a 12 string/ribbon mega tree. I am not crazy about trying to learn another software.

Can you give some advice on what I can do to build and sequence this project but stay with LOR.

Thanks!

Rick

Bird

LOR user
From Cincinnati (actually Hamilton)
Welcome.gif

to ACL Rick

First the disclaimer
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem
But of course it appears you are already there. :D

If you haven't found it yet, the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)

I am like you in that I only use LOR S3 and LOR controllers. I also have 6 CCR's and SS.
Others will chime in soon enough with other options and ideas.
My eventual intention is to stay with S3 but add Nutcracker to the mix. Appears Nutcracker is a very nice addition to LOR. Of course S3 is able to do DMX and that is the cheaper way to go for RGB. But as always, $$ saved on hardware means the value difference is made up with your person time investment. So as long as a little more DIY time does not scare you ... ;)

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day Rick, welcome to ACL mate. I have no experience with LOR but there are plenty on here that do. I expect you will have little trouble controlling a Mega tree. I did a 12 strip x 3metre 2D tree my first year and I was really impressed with it. You may need to provide some more info on your tree. Are you using strip or string? How high? Work out what you want and people here will be able to help with some direction/suggestions.
I used this strip from Ray Wu for mine. It really was quite easy, even for a complete novice like I was at the time. I now have 2 years experience and everything seems just a little easier.
Photos of tree don't do it justice. It looks much better in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 9

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Welcome Rick. I'm a longtime LOR user and just started getting my feet wet with pixels last year. I STRONGLY recommend using LOR's SuperStar. It makes sequencing a pixel tree a breeze. I was able to do a few sequences for my 12 ribbon Pixel tree in 6 hours or so. Money well spent. HolidayCoro.com is where I purchased my tree kit and just put in a large order yesterday. Free shipping during the sale on orders over $999. Good luck. You came to the right place. If you have any questions log into chat and someone is usually more than eager to help. Good Luck with Show!

Dan

Harbs

New elf
I have been playing around with the LOR Super Star software.
Looks like it might be the best choice since I have some experience with the Sequence Editor.
I too have used Holiday Coro for some of my present projects.

Still not sure about the export and import functions. Guess I better watch more institutional videos.
Thinking about purchasing a starter kit and do some testing before I make the big purchase.

Do you prefer the nodes or ribbons for a mega tree ??

Thanks for your help

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I used ribbons so I really don't have an opinion other than the fact it was easy, clean and looked great. My 2D tree was 12 ribbons. I'm increasing it to 16, adding another 16 ribbon tree and doing a 360 tree with nodes. I really like the ribbons but they are somewhat fragile.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Welcome to ACL

I am also a long time LOR user. I started out with 5 AC controllers, went on to using 17 CCR's and then moved everything over to E1.31 and added a pixel tree, some spiral trees and some pixel canes along with some Dumb RGB.

I use LOR S3 with Superstar add on as well as Xlights/Nutcracker.

All of my LOR AC controllers, dumb RGB and CCR's are ran through E1.31 to DMX bridges. So no more LOR RS-485 Dongles for me :)

Jump into Chat and ask questions. I found that was the quickest and best way to learn.

-Blu

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Welcome to ACL. :) . Im an lor user and last year added a 12 string 2D pixel tree. Used a p12s sequenced with ss and rgb studio.