GST on overseas purchases

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Just saw on the news the government is looking to add 10%GST on online purchases , not sure when it will be implimented but be careful when ordering as your future purchases may be hit with GST

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes this is something the government is looking into but it wont be something that will happen very quickly as they would have to prepare for something like this before implementing.

Its good for Australian Businesses but not good for the DIYer and online buyer. I think you will still be able to bring in $200 to $250 worth of items without GST but in this hobby that wont get you much. The falling Aussie dollar doesnt help either.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
In NZ we can often get away with keeping purchases below $300 but above that, we have a high chance of getting hit with duty. If it was just GST (we have 15%), that wouldn't quite so bad but the charges usually add up to something more like 25-28% and that really hurts. ( I have had one order get stung about 27% charges by customs :-\ )

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Feel fortunate guys.....
In Canada, the value is $20.00, anything over that is subject to duty.....What the heck can you get for $20.00 nowadays?? My last purchase was $760 cdn from china and was promptly charged $80.00 duty.
In my little province we pay 15% HST (harmonized sales tax, which is GST and PST). Thanks goodness they haven't started charging that on all on-line purchases.
Combine that with a dollar that is trading at 76 cents/US dollar and it puts a huge dent in large scale purchases...
:mad:

logandc99

Dedicated elf
GST on overseas purchases

multicast said:
logandc99 said:
Oh how I dream of the days of 76c per USD :) .
Try 65c and falling :'( :'(

Which part of this is bad?

Fair enough. Got my words mixed up.
Let's try that again. [emoji3]
"Oh how I dream of the days of 76c U.S. to our dollar. Try 65c and falling."
Yep that sounds better [emoji5]️ ( actually worse ) [emoji17]

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Almost sounds like it is time to visit the good people down under again. Last time I was there the USD was almost almost equal your dollar.. Actually I think it was less..

elnino

Full time elf
I've actually got no problem paying GST at all. It's fair that we should but nice that we don't currently have to under $1k). We have it very good at the moment. However, it's going to need a MUCH better system for collecting the tax than what we have now. It's slow, snail mail based and would clog the system extremely fast. Where are they going to store all these packages waiting for a few $ of tax to be paid?? It would cost more to store it and re-process it than what they stand to gain in tax.

I love how they come up with this hairbrained idea with know actual thought given as to HOW they would achieve it.

I'd be fine just getting an email/SMS from Customs telling me to log in/pay GST and i'd be on my way and so would my package.

I think a reasonable value would be around $200 to start taxing things. Probably makes a good break on effort vs reward for collecting the tax.

It's not a fool-proof system, it just means that more and more packages will be marked below the actual value to get past customs tax free (as if they don't now!)

Richie4540

Full time elf
This is one reason the country is stuffed, goes to show the government doesn't pay for it out of their own pockets, this will be a tax that costs more to collect than it earns, and for what, so the big end of town can try to get more sales on a busted sale method.

One reason for the delay is the Ato is in the process of booking flights to send ATO delegates to companies overseas to discuss how the tax will be collected and the sent to the ATO.

And I'm pretty sure it will kick in at the $20 mark.

Anyway you have to laugh.