1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Hacking attempt.

Discussion in 'LightShow Pro (LSP)' started by Binkles, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Binkles

Binkles Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    I just got this email. I can verify that I have not attempted to log in.

Dear name changed pm if required.

Someone has tried to log into your account on LightShow Pro Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 188.143.234.6

All the best,
    LightShow Pro Forums

2. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I had the same warning and looks like it was a hacking attempt.

3. damo1271

damo1271 Full Time Elf Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    This is the whois lookup for that IP address. It doesnt give much info other than they are in Russia.
    [table][tr][td]IP[/td][td] 188.143.234.6 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Hostname[/td][td]188.143.234.6[/td][/tr][tr][td]ASN[/td][td]AS44050[/td][/tr][tr][td]Organization[/td][td]PIN-AS Petersburg Internet Network LLC[/td][/tr][tr][td]Prefix[/td][td]188.143.234.0/23[/td][/tr][tr][td]Country[/td][td]Russian Federation[/td][/tr][tr][td]Region[/td][td]Saint Petersburg City[/td][/tr][tr][td]City[/td][td]Saint Petersburg[/td][/tr][tr][td]Local time[/td][td]2013/09/21 07:06 (Moscow Standard Time)[/td][/tr][tr][td]JSON[/td][td]188.143.234.6.json[/td][/tr][/table]

4. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I have been informed that this hacking attempt was done by a known BOT originating from Russia which looks for easy passwords. The bot tried 5 times and was locked from the account, it then kept trying other users paswords but was blocked until the firewall blocked the BOTs attempts to log in. So the server acted the way it should have against this attack and as long as people dont use stupid easy passwords then attempts like these will be stopped.