Halloween this year: Video+pi player

smeighan

Dedicated elf
This year i did not have much time to set up my Halloween show. I did get my twin 12yo boys to again put up their 20'x20' spider web that they made last year. I put (9) 5m ws2811 12v flex strips on it first.

we again brought out the spider that they made from pvc pipe and expanding foam.

New this year we setup a projector to play mp4 movies of
Thriller
This is Halloween
GhostBusters

the movies project the mouths of 3 pumpkins. When you buy the cd with the mp4 files there is no sound. You go and get the sound files and add them in your video editor. I then resave the mp4 files, this time with the sound track.

I have successfully sent the mp4 files over to my raspberry pi. The pi is playing the mp4 files. I also run the falcon pi player to run the lights on my spider web.

So I have video and lights controlled from the raspberry pi. Works very nice.
Controlling video is not yet supported on the pi player so i ran linux programs directly from a shell prompt. This is going to work fine for this year.
I created three pi player playlists and attached one sequence to each playlist. I have 3 songs
Thriller
This is Halloween
Ghost Busters

this shell script runs forever, just playing a sequence and a movie and then going on to next song.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh
while /bin/true
do
        fpp -P Nightmare
        omxplayer -o local NIGHTMARE.mp4
        sleep 5

fpp -P Thriller
        omxplayer -o  local THRILLER.mp4
        sleep 5

fpp -P Gbusters
        omxplayer -o local GBUSTERS.mp4
        sleep 5
done

The fpp command starts the sequence immediately, the omxplayer for running videos seems to have a 3-4 second delay before the movie starts. I will play putting in some delyas. All of this is just for this year. Dave and team plan on making the pi player sync to the sound from an mp4 file for next year, currently it only does the ogg file.
Here is my hardware setup for this year.

Halloween_2013.png

And here is a quick video from last night i shot on my ipad.

The Aether-II floods are shown on the wall. My wife made a silhouette to cast a shadow of the villain.

https://vimeo.com/78180558

the videos that i project on the pumpkins i got from here
http://www.themightymicroscope.com/windowcreeps/

i have a second projector running the Window Creeps video onto my sons bedroom window. quite bright and spooky.

thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Those pumpkin projections look great. Now someone needs to work out a way to go from song lyrics to papagayo and onto a video to save us all from making led props.

Great to see you up and about Sean.

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Very nice!
I have been using Hallowindow and it is a huge hit. I wish I could use the projector outside but I have no porch and October is a very wet month in N.S. I love the spider, I bet the kids loved it.!