1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Having trouble with two strips in series

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by DanJ, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DanJ

DanJ Full Time Elf

When hooking up my last two (of six) arches using 5V WS2811 strips, if I plug in either strip directly into the waterproof connector of the extension cable from the E682 controller, the strip works correctly. However, when I plug another strip into the first strip, the second strip doesn't do anything. As a troubleshooting tool, I swapped strips and got the same result. I am honestly tired of fooling around with these for this year and have decided to just set these to the side this season; very frustrated at this point. I measured voltages at + power, - power, and data signal. I saw 4.93 V + to - and about 0.785 V data signal on the input end of the second strip in each case. Based on some troubleshooting I did last weekend when I found a bad extension cable though, not even sure the voltages are really telling me much!! Last weekend I was seeing good voltages but was not getting correct response from strips. When I replaced the cable everything was good... I think for troubleshooting I will plug the strips directly into the controller without the extension cable to see if that makes any difference--with the strips in series the way I need to configure them. I did check my E682's browser to make sure I didn't goof up the number of pixels; that is good--no problem there. Thanks in advance for whatever ideas you can give me!! This is the shortest of my three extension cables, so I don't think length is the problem.

2. oldmanfathertime1000

oldmanfathertime1000 Computers, music, audio, video, electronics

Did you re do the settings in the E682 controller to see these extra lights ?

3. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    As you seem to have checked the logical things like voltage and as the problem appears to be occurring at exactly the changeover from 1 strip to the next I'd be checking your output connector is wired correctly. I'll assume that the E682 is configured for >150 channels/50 pixels or whatever 1 strip works out to. If it was a voltage issue it is very unlikely that the issue would occur at precisely the changeover point.

4. OP
    OP
    DanJ

DanJ Full Time Elf

That is a good point. I hadn't thought about both being at changeover point. Yes, I checked my E682 to make sure I hadn't done something dumb with the channel configs. They are all properly set as 3 sets of 120, so I am good there.

EDIT: I didn't think to check that obvious thing--I will take a look at my connectors tomorrow and make sure I didn't get them backwards on the output ends. I don't think I would gotten both wrong, but it is possible. Could have had a loss of brain when soldering.....

5. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Do you have power injection between the 2 strips or are you running the 2 strips in series.

6. sck1ng

sck1ng Apprentice Elf

Make sure you reboot the e682.. Do they show up with the e682 in test mode? If they don't then it's got to be either wiring or a config issue. If they do, then there is an issue with your player..