HDD SSD Help.

Baf05

Full time elf
I need some assistance with my HD and SD drives.

My "C" drive as an SSD which apperntly is full of programs, 105gig worth! (This seems odd to be honest) and my computer keeps telling I need to free up space.....

My "E" drive is a 1TB HDD with only 56gig of stuff on it.....

I put everything program wise on the SSD to make it all faster, but now I am running into the storage issues.

What's my best solution, new bigger SSD? Partion my 1TB HDD and move my program files to that freeing up my SSD for just xLights? (If so how do I do that)

Or is there another solution to help my computer..... Also how do I create "virtual RAM"

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Run Disk Clean up wizard. Windows explorer >Right-click on C: drive > Properties > Disk Clean up. Probably a heap of old windows update backups that can be purged.

As for 'Virtual RAM' - don't waste your time - just buy more of the real thing.

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
I need some assistance with my HD and SD drives.

My "C" drive as an SSD which apperntly is full of programs, 105gig worth! (This seems odd to be honest) and my computer keeps telling I need to free up space.....

My "E" drive is a 1TB HDD with only 56gig of stuff on it.....

I put everything program wise on the SSD to make it all faster, but now I am running into the storage issues.

What's my best solution, new bigger SSD? Partion my 1TB HDD and move my program files to that freeing up my SSD for just xLights? (If so how do I do that)

Or is there another solution to help my computer..... Also how do I create "virtual RAM"

Ideally. you should reserve the SSD for your operating system and, maybe, a few system utilities.
Either buy another HDD (they're very cheap now) or partition your HDD to 400GB/600GB, then name the 400 'Applications' (programmes) and the 600 'Data'.
That way, if your SSD (OS) fails, your data is protected.
Your OS has a utility (computer management/disk management) that you can use.
Get assistance if you don't know how to use it.

After installing your OS + updates, drivers etc., create a system image (then label it 'vanilla') and store it offsite.
AOMEI have a very good backup prog. that is FREE for home use. You can create system images with it.

Hope this helps.

Baf05

Full time elf
Actually this advice makes sense, and would help on the interim until I buy a new HDD, given that my currant HDD has plenty of space.

I now how to create partitions, but moving the applications folders may prove difficult.....

off to google for advice :)

Kitman

Full time elf
You can't simply "move" your programs from one drive to another. When a program is installed it has all of its pointers directing to the installation location so simply moving the installed programs folder will make that program stop working. You need to be installing your programs to the other drive instead of installing them to the C drive.

Android phones and tablets are great as you can simply say "move this app to my SD card" and the Android OS does the magic in the back, however windows is far less forgiving when moving apps, what you will need to do is uninstall the program and then install it again, however, this time you will need to choose custom install and select the location it is going to install to, it is very time-consuming but it is the only way.

You might also want to take a look at where your documents and pictures are stored, for example, your My Documents, My Pictures, and My Videos folder, they are all by default stored on the C drive, however you can change that so that it stores them by default on another drive, this will also help to clear up some space on the C drive simply moving everything possible to another drive.

Just as an FYI the Windows folder on my Windows 10 laptop is just over 46gig so just windows alone takes up lots of space.