Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Grinch B+

New elf
Hi All,
Was admiring the xmas lights when I saw @
Superman 's house. was very impressed and inquired as to how it was done. As it turns out I have a Pi sitting in the garage doing nothing and am keen to have a play. Apart from lights, what works best with the Pi's? Saw the E1.31 and DMX stuff, and I'm sure with some more reading I'll get more of an idea but am new to it all (Had RaspMC running previously on the Pi)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI Grinch B+, welcome to ACL!
If you haven't done so already check out the 101 manual to get you started as it covers off almost all topics required to get a setup happening, then dive into the forums, chat room or Zoom session to get more specific detail around a topic you may have.

Regarding the Pi, many users (myself included) use this as the show controller. Essentially it outputs data over e1.31 to a network switch, which then distributes the data to the various controllers you may use. Some controllers act as a E1.31 to DMX bridge, so you can still use DMX controllers or lights once the signal is converted.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL

You will find that both DMX and e1.31 work well with the Pi, E1.31 is effectively DMX over Ethernet anyway as it still uses universes that are the same size as DMX
Also many of the e1.31 controllers also have DMX outputs, so really there is no difference except that E1.31 is much better for pixels as DMX will chew up universes and DMX controllers very quickly