Hello everybody!

Dwinterstine

New elf
Hi, my name is Dave I'm from Lewes Beach, Delaware, US. Im interested in starting a new hobby in pixel lights for the holidays. Like many others ill be starting small and going from there. I've been doing a lot of research on the forums and I have an order of things I believe to be done if anyone can verify or give some input I'd appreciate greatly. Some people say it's easier to go with a software 1st, test a couple different ones to see which I like. Then, design what I would wantwant to do (for now just my roof line for starters) and then decide on my controller and order smart pixel nodes from ray.

I'm looking at the Falcon F16v3 for my controller and Xlights for software.

Attached photo are the nodes I found from Ray. I want to verify these are what I'd be needing for install before I order.

Thank you everyone looking forward to your input and suggestions!

Attachments

• 20190523_132632.jpg
    20190523_132632.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 10

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL.
Make sure you grab the ACL101 and have a read.
Great 1st choice for pixels. 5V nodes are easy to use and it's just a matter of keeping the 5V up to them by providing power injection where needed.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Yes, the Falcon Controller is, I've been reliably informed, a good controller, with good support from the designer/manufacturer.

Yes, xLights is the software of choice, at least here on the ACL forum, apart from the few that use Vixen. You can certainly install xLights, put a photo of your house in the background, then place 'models'/'props' in the layout to see whats looks good / is what you want; before you actually buy the controller or lights.

A possible issue with those particular lights is they are only 3"/7.6cm spacing, which depending on what particular use your planning for them, may not be enough. I had to use 4"/10cm spacing for some of my props.

Dwinterstine

New elf
So I should find sets with the nodes further spaced from each other? I'm assuming to get more light using less power to cover the house and projects?

Thanks for the info.