Hello from Brisbane :) Projection Mapping Artist looking to learn about Pixels.

davewrath

New elf
G'day, I'm Dave.

I do projection mapping at events. I use software called MadMapper to map projections to different surfaces and since the last version you can also control Pixels or DMX Fixtures. I'm here to learn about LEDs to build a modular kit I can use on stages as the kits that Garagecube make seem really expensive by the time they're landed in AUS:

Thanks for having me, and sorry for any forthcoming dumb questions! I'll be back after I read through the 101 V.3

Cheers, Dave.

justintas

New elf
Hi Dave, welcome aboard I just saw you post.
We are also using and learning Madmapper as well and I'm looking at building someting similar let me know how you get on. Keen to share ideas / experiences Cheers Justin

davewrath

New elf
Hi Dave, welcome aboard I just saw you post.
We are also using and learning Madmapper as well and I'm looking at building someting similar let me know how you get on. Keen to share ideas / experiences Cheers Justin
I ended up buying a 2nd hand Pixlite 16 Plug n Play off an AusXmasLights member. I ordered an Advatek DCDC30 Strip (to test everything) but I've worked out how to get the same strips from Ray Wu. He will even supply them with Advatek connectors and a 2m leader wire! Thanks everyone that's helped me out :)

justintas

New elf
Hi Dave, we have gone with Advatek controllers as well. Just building up some lights strips similar to garage cube ones to try out let me know how you go. We are just doing a quick course to get more familar with the mapping controls for new release with a goal to combining both Led Displays and Proejection mapping. Good luck its great fun !!!

CDI.083

New elf
Hi Dave,
Can I ask more about the lights you got made with advatek connectors? what $ for what length please mate? I'll be after some too so did you get a model code from Ray Wu or just a one of special make

Julie

New elf
I ended up buying a 2nd hand Pixlite 16 Plug n Play off an AusXmasLights member. I ordered an Advatek DCDC30 Strip (to test everything) but I've worked out how to get the same strips from Ray Wu. He will even supply them with Advatek connectors and a 2m leader wire! Thanks everyone that's helped me out :)
Hi there can I confirm that the lights you ordered from Ray had a 4 pin male connector for the plug and play if so that is going to make my life so much easier

Zuseleets

Full time elf
G'day, I'm Dave.

I do projection mapping at events. I use software called MadMapper to map projections to different surfaces and since the last version you can also control Pixels or DMX Fixtures. I'm here to learn about LEDs to build a modular kit I can use on stages as the kits that Garagecube make seem really expensive by the time they're landed in AUS:

Thanks for having me, and sorry for any forthcoming dumb questions! I'll be back after I read through the 101 V.3

Cheers, Dave.
Hey @davewrath and welcome to ACL, feel free to drop into chat at any time.
Out of curiosty, what other software would you recommend for projection mapping for us poor folk who only use it at christmas time? MadMapper is a little out of my price range. Also, how are images obtained to use in your projections? Is that an added cost?

justintas

New elf
Hi @Zuseleets here is a site with a list of projection mapping software some of which is free. We use MadMapper as well a bit pricy but awesome software with a strong community. Have a look at some of the others on that list some are free to use and stay in trial mode. Images used for projection can be anything you can get be it a YouTube video , your own images etc once the object is mapped can project any thing on to it. Hope that helps. forgot to put in link Projection mapping software

Last edited: