Hello from Maitland, NSW

JasonC

New elf
Hi, I was put onto this website by a work colleague who has had a very impressive display for the last couple of years and has inspired me to move on from out of the box lights that have fixed patterns.

A little about me; I'm an electrical engineer (studied at University of Newcastle). The world of LED displays is fairly new to me, but given my background, I'm a fairly quick learner. My intention is to gradually build up my display, I want to start with a matrix display for message and image display, then I will move on to outlines of the house etc. Will probably look at sequencing to audio at some point, but will not start there. I plan on using mostly smart LEDs, either APA106 or WS2812B type. I've just ordered a little mounting board for some APA106 5mm through hole LEDs to put some light around some custom cutouts.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the more general electrical/electronics side of things (particularly electrical safety) I will be more than happy to help or point you in the direction of the right help. Also, I will probably ask plenty of my own questions.

I have message DarylC already regarding a Falcon F16v3, since I'm an all or nothing type guy

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Hiya another Newie (Hunter) :thumbsup:
Before everyone else tells you check out the 101 manual and drop into Chat if you have any Questions

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I go a bit nuts when it comes to safety of others. I probably added 20 or more additional safety warnings in various parts of the latest ACL101 that OzAz mentioned.
There's a lighting mini expo in Picton NSW in a few weeks if you really want to soak up info fast.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Jason, welcome to ACL!
Plenty of info to help you out within the forums here, or pop into chat at anytime, there's always someone about.

roo

Full time elf
Welcome! Like everyone has said, check out the manual, forums and chat. Great to have another hunter local. Morisset this way!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, as already suggested you may want to take a look at the Sydney mini expo being held this weekend at Picton, this will definitely be an eye opener for you and help you fast track your understanding

Gee Family Light Show

Emma- Light Em Up Sequences
Hi Jason,

Myself and hubby are located in Aberglasslyn. This is our second year using xLights, and though we're not experts we're happy to try and help if you need anything!!