Hello from Northern Virginia, USA

Brian R

New elf
Hello everyone!

I'm happy to find and join this forum after a couple of years on and off of researching building outdoor lighting displays. I have a short-term goal to build a 7'-10' pixel tree next Christmas for our tiny front yard in the city.

After watching Matt Johnson's light show in 2015 on YouTube, my first thought was "WOW I had no idea this was possible" shortly followed by "how does this work?!" I watched his tutorials and started to do research... and here I am!

I have a 20+ year background as an audio engineer and have tinkered with electronics all of my life. I've built a retro arcade console with raspberry pi, a 16x16 matrix display for my daughters animated Halloween costume as Ms. Pac-Man characters using Arduino with RGB pixels powered by a battery pack, and have also built some neopixel wearables.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome Brian to ACL!
Sounds like with your technical background you should pick things up pretty quickly!
Browse through the forums to find what you need but if you can't, there's always the chat room at any time, always someone about.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Brian! A pixel tree is a great way to start. First pixels I added was a simple 12 string 50 pixel tree. Those 600 pixels have since multiplied. I would recommend chat but I know you already found it. Dont think you'll need the ACL 101 much either. I dont think you'll have too many challenges with this. Welcome!