Hello from Sydney, NSW

EoinCuinn

New elf
Joined the forums to start investigating putting a controlled LED sequence on the house for this year.
Nothing over the top, but definitely something nice to get started.
I have an extensive AV background, including lighting design, so anything DMX controllable will probably be my friend. My first inclination is to use a raspberry pi, but I am only on the start of the investigation path.
At the moment measuring everything up and working out lengths etc.
Looking forward to browsing through what looks like to be an extensive amount of information.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL,
DMX knowledge definitely helps. Now days xlights does the heavy lifting but it's good know how to layout channels and universes when automatic methods fail!
Pixels used here is mostly the WS28xx family. There are other pixel protocols I've seen but they'll all a SPI signal and not RS-485 like DMX pixels.

You'll hear the term "node" for each pixel LED. Just thought I'd say that because you might refer to "node" for artNET node.
E1.31 is sACN.
People also refer to using 510 channels per universe, this is a preference because 510 is divisible by 3 for 3 channel pixels. Feel free to use 512 channels a universe.

Pixel controllers here do work with lighting consoles. I have got my Falcon F48 to receive artNET from Chamsys MagicQ, I haven't tried with a console hooked up yet.

EoinCuinn

New elf
Welcome to ACL,
DMX knowledge definitely helps. Now days xlights does the heavy lifting but it's good know how to layout channels and universes when automatic methods fail!
Pixels used here is mostly the WS28xx family. There are other pixel protocols I've seen but they'll all a SPI signal and not RS-485 like DMX pixels.

You'll hear the term "node" for each pixel LED. Just thought I'd say that because you might refer to "node" for artNET node.
E1.31 is sACN.
People also refer to using 510 channels per universe, this is a preference because 510 is divisible by 3 for 3 channel pixels. Feel free to use 512 channels a universe.

Pixel controllers here do work with lighting consoles. I have got my Falcon F48 to receive artNET from Chamsys MagicQ, I haven't tried with a console hooked up yet.

Thank you for the welcome, and the tips on the naming conventions, particularly node (that would have gotten me I know it!

Currently working through the 101 Manual. That is an amazing collaboration of information.

I'll get some ideas and buy lists together over the next few months, then post it to make sure I'm on the right path.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Plenty of resources here!.

Where about's in Sydney? there are quite a few of us in the Sydney region be sure to check out our Christmas light map!

Also keep an eye out for the Sydney Mini / Build parties. Awesome get togethers where we assist all the new comers!

Have fun!

EoinCuinn

New elf
Plenty of resources here!.

Where about's in Sydney? there are quite a few of us in the Sydney region be sure to check out our Christmas light map!

Also keep an eye out for the Sydney Mini / Build parties. Awesome get togethers where we assist all the new comers!

Have fun!

Thanks!

I am in Emu Plains, just over the river from Penrith.

I've spent most of the day reading, shopping list together for the core components. Now scratching my head about the best way to actually mount the various options to the house!

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
You can watch a few videos on how people setup there displays. Might make it a bit easier