Hello from the United Kindgom

mutleyrover

New elf
Hi everyone!

My name is Matthew and I live near Southampton in the United Kingdom. I've seen some of the you tube clips of Christmas lights to music over the past few years and thought it would be great to do that myself. It's not overly common in the UK. I don't know anyone else near me that does anything like it.

So I thought I'd look in to how it's done thinking it must be straight forward. How wrong was I?!!! My head hurts from all the info I've read so far!

I joined the DIY Christmas forum a few weeks ago and have only recently found this forum too. After all my reading I've decided to start with a Renard64XC controller. Lots of questions are buzzing round my head!! I'm hoping as it's 240volts in Australia (rather than the 110v in the USA) I'll be able to get lots of help and advice here.

Really excited by my new found "hobby". It'll be great to get something built and working, eventually!!!!

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Welcome to ACL! Once you get going you will find this hobby is not difficult, you just need to understand each part before you move on to the next.

There is lots of help in this community and you have given yourself lots of time so you will have it all under control by the time Christmas comes around.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Matthew

One of your big advantages on this site, as you mentioned, it deals a lot with the issues of your voltage rather than the 120v for me in the USA.
This site is focused on safer low voltage displays.
I would not rush into a controller purchase until you have done a fair bit of research. The controller 'must' match your plans. This includes voltage, type of lights used, etc.
As Eddy already mentioned, the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for most of your options/answers but even after starting to understand your options be sure to post or chat here to verify your thoughts. This can save you money and time.
Many very friendly people on this site will be glad to assist in making your blinky dreams come true. :)

FYI:
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

MacThomas76

Animated Shows since 2012
Welcome to ACL, Matthew.

It's great you decided to take the plunge into computerized light shows! It can seem overwhelming at first, but it's really fairly simple and straightforward when it comes to setting things up...and this is coming from a guy who is not tech savvy at all! ACL is a great place to be. I've gained a wealth of knowledge in just the few weeks I've been a member. I'm sure this will be a great resource for you.

cheers,
Thomas

mutleyrover

New elf
I'm not tech savvy either Thomas. I'm looking forward to starting build things although it'll be slow going to start with as having 2 kids not yet at school doesn't leave me much time. It's going to be a long term project!! One thing I have found is that it consumes your thoughts!! I'm thinking about it all the time.....

Powering the SSRs has me confused a little but once I've actually built some I'm sure I can ask for help if I get stuck. It's all good fun, and still a little confusing at times!!!!!

Mat