Hello from Western Sydney

DvS-

New elf
Hi all,

First home owner and have previously seen and been interested in sequenced lighting.

After moving in and putting up the el-cheapo lights you get from K-mart etc i feel like i need to step it up for 2018.

I am slowly getting through the ACL 101 manual but i have a slight idea of how i want the display to start off, with the idea to expand over a few years.

- Rope light or similar along driveway and footpath edge (milky light tube from Ali Express )
- Rope light or similar along the gutter and garage door
- Icicle lights along gutter
- 'Merry Christmas' sign across garage (from Boscoyo)
- Large 360 Mini Coro Tree onto roof (from Boscoyo)

I haven't decided what controller or whether to go 5v or 12v as yet however I was looking at the Advatek Pixlite 16 plug and play kit (don't necessarily have to sequence to music but potentially in future) or is this overkill for what i want to initially achieve? Happy to take suggestions.

I'm not overly good with electronics but i would assume i would need more than the one power supply to inject power along the chain? I haven't come across any information but if you inject power say mid way down the chain, do you just run that power cord back to the power supply (which would sit inside the garage)?

Thanks!
DvS-

Last edited:

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL (officially!)
Sounds like you have a good plan already formulating which is half the battle. Take some time to read the 101 and let it sink in. If aftwer a couple of reads something isn't clicking for you, feel free to ask in chat, or jump into a Friday evening Zoom session, or there are HEAPS of videos at videos.xlights.org Whilst majoritity there are more focussed on the xlights software, there are tips and tricks about general setup too. And ACLs youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/AusChristmasLighting) has heaps of vids from past minis which cover all sorts of topics. Break out the popcorn :)