hello im new

petepenrith

New elf
looking at buying a falcon player and dont know where to get it from really.. also whats the best way to get led rgb lights..

if i get a falcon player do i need a pi?

any help would be great

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Officially welcome @petepenrith ,
Falcon controller in AU we get in a community bulk buy from Daryl. It has closed but you might be able to ask for spares.

You can use a Pi to run you show or a computer running xLights.
The Pi is helpful to save needing a computer running.

petepenrith

New elf
so i need a pi and a falcon together to run the lights and show?

there will be a thread for daryl bulk buy

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
You don't need a Pi to run a show. There is benefits in using one though.
It depends whether you want a normal computer running the show or a credit card sized mini computer.
If you've got an old laptop that would do just as well.
I like Pi player for it's size and means I can still use my computer for other things.

Daryl's bulk buy:

If buying a Falcon controller is too much then you could look at alternatives like AdvaTek controller in Australia.

No matter what, you will need a controller like a Falcon F16v3 or F48 to connect to the lights. It receives data from Pi or a computer to run the show.
I'd have a look over CanispatorChristmas's videos; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCby1v6Kbi8AHMkV2yMyF1MQ

Along with previous recorded mini videos in the media tab. There's one by Keith about Falcon Pi player.

petepenrith

New elf
are the AdvaTek controller easy to use?? does everyone use falcon cause they are better or they use it cause its got the best rep??

petepenrith

New elf
support as in more people know about it or falcon r doing more work with people with xmas lights

petepenrith

New elf
ahhh that sounds good.. ill talk to the guys from Melbourne and see what help i can get out of them. would be nice to help out an aus company..

so xlights doesnt work well in the adva tek stuff or just a bit more work?

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
Dude
Slow down and take a breath. I run 2 AdvaTek boards (1-PixLite 16MkII and 1-PixLite 4MkII ECO and have a Falcon F16V3 not used yet)
xLights works with many many controllers, read the ACL101 and watch way tooooo many videos until your head spins then take a breath draw your house or ??
Design a layout, download xLights have a play and then get some gear (Controller, Pixel, Materials to build Props or order from Extreme Lighting Diapalys (Oz company))
Enjoy don’t stress or it will become harder than it actually is.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Xlights works fine with the Advatek boards and will also configure them. The only thing to understand is there are more configuration constraints with them than the falcons.

petepenrith

New elf
been reading it and watching lots of youtube stuff just dont wanna buy something and than work out its not really going to to work with what i want.. just trying to find something easy and that will work well.. im more than happy to do the advatek stuff

Zuseleets

Full time elf
been reading it and watching lots of youtube stuff just dont wanna buy something and than work out its not really going to to work with what i want.. just trying to find something easy and that will work well.. im more than happy to do the advatek stuff
Hi @petepenrith. Welcome to ACL. If it helps, I own both a Advatek ( Pixlite 16 mk2) and and a Falcon (F16v3) and both work great. I found that configuring both of the controllers was easy enough. Advatek has pretty decent support through their website. It's a matter of opening a ticket and being specific when explaining the issue you're having, and they are quick to respond. For me, I find the Advatek assistant frustrating at times as it either required me to walk the 100 metres back to the house to use the assistant, or lug my laptop around with me. There is no web interface for Advatek controllers. But on the flip side, I really really like how the Advatek Pixlite 16 mk2 can be put into expansion mode without having to buy any extra boards. They also have receiver boards you can purchase.

Going into 'expansion mode' on the Falcon controllers requires the purchase of an additional "expansion board". That is more money that you need to fork out on top of the controller expense. Falcon controllers have a web interface that you can easily access on your smart phone for convenience. Falcon has great support, although I have never needed to contact them as I found there are plenty of falcon users in the community. You basically just need to say falcon, and a bunch of people jump out of nowhere and offer their help, which is kinda cool.