Hello!

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Hi just thought I'd say hello... I've been lurking here for a long time, but haven't been able to get my bum in to gear and purchase anything.. I'm looking at getting the Pixlite 16 pug and play Mk11. I've read the 101 manual, and think it's amazing.. I'm just wondering should I do the 5v or 12v? what are others experience, and thoughts? thanks so much in advance.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Andi
Personally the only reason I would go with 12V was if I was using GS8208 pixels. If you're using common garden variety pixels then 5V every time. It's not that hard to look after the voltage via some sensible wiring when it comes to props and/or via power injection. 12V pixels are more expensive and more inefficient to give the same amount of light. I'm not sure what pixels Advatek are supplying with their plug and play but I'd probably go with 5V regardless. They are local to you and are always contactable if you have any issues.

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Thank you... cool, I'll go the 5V then... they look like they only have one type they are selling which is the tsl3001. it's about $70 so not sure if that's super expensive, tossing up if I should buy through them or look on line and find something and someone else for the lights!.
thanks again for your help!

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
The good old 5v vs 12v... Me personally I find 12v so much easier to power its a no brainer to use 12v on the majority of my display. 5v is less expensive and more efficient so you need to weigh the pros and cons to both. For testing purposes only I ran a 696 pixel prop with 12v pixels directly off output of F16v3. No flickering or off colors. Cant do that with 5v. "Mo volts is mo betta" in my book

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome Andi. There is no right or wrong for what voltage to select (there are PLENTY of forum posts about it)
Everyone has their own reasons why they prefer one over the other. Comes down to potential costs and also knowledge and understanding of power injection for individuals. My advice if stick to one voltage across your display if you can, to prevent accidental plugging of 12v power into 5v nodes for example (hey it happens!) If you do have a mix of voltages, maybe use different type/size connectors to prevent such accidents.
My 2c: I was exclusive 12v but am now adding more 5v.

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Thank you all, it's so confusing.... I just not sure which way to start off with.
thank you all for your input.. I'll keep researching lol

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
What's confusing about mo volts is mo betta? lol I prefer to stick with one voltage as much as possible(12v here) to simplify things. If you have a small yard 5v will suite you fine. 12v is a bit simpler if you are just starting out and concerned with power injection. There is no right or wrong way. You really cant go wrong

AndiK

Apprentice elf
What's confusing about mo volts is mo betta? lol I prefer to stick with one voltage as much as possible(12v here) to simplify things. If you have a small yard 5v will suite you fine. 12v is a bit simpler if you are just starting out and concerned with power injection. There is no right or wrong way. You really cant go wrong
Thank you ... keeping it simple is what I want to do... lol.. but also try and have an amazing display...

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
The voltage of the pixels has no impact if the display is amazing or not. More or less power injection, more or less power consumption is all the voltage of the pixels has to do with anything. Pros and cons are minimal for me. Some of my 12v nodes are 30ma white 100% intensity(No benefit using 5v with that power consumption)

AndiK

Apprentice elf
The voltage of the pixels has no impact if the display is amazing or not. More or less power injection, more or less power consumption is all the voltage of the pixels has to do with anything. Pros and cons are minimal for me. Some of my 12v nodes are 30ma white 100% intensity(No benefit using 5v with that power consumption)
cool.. still confusing. I guess I want to keep it simple, and when I see people talk about power injectors... my mind stops! LOL. I think its about learning a new language and trying to understand it all!..

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
my 2 cents worth

If you want to keep it real simple and buy a plug and play controller, then 12V. (IMHO)
General "rule" is you can run 100 pixels at 12V, but only 50 pixels at 5V (before requiring power injection).

So with zero power injection, you could (theoretically) attach 16 strings of 100 (12V) pixels to your controller. Which would be enough for a mid-size pixel tree, for example.

But to use a controller to it's full potential, then no matter what voltage pixel you use, you'll have to start using power injection.

Example: the Pixlite can run 1020 pixels off each of it's 16 outputs. However, using the general "rule", if you were using 12V pixels you'd have to power inject every 100 pixels, if 5V pixels every 50; BUT once you start power injecting it doesn't really make much difference if it's 50, 100 or whatever number. So it's not as important as to which voltage you use.

Hope that clears up a few things.

Oh and all the other experts out there, please don't confuse things, I know I'm generalising re "rule". :D :D

AndiK

Apprentice elf
my 2 cents worth

If you want to keep it real simple and buy a plug and play controller, then 12V. (IMHO)
General "rule" is you can run 100 pixels at 12V, but only 50 pixels at 5V (before requiring power injection).

So with zero power injection, you could (theoretically) attach 16 strings of 100 (12V) pixels to your controller. Which would be enough for a mid-size pixel tree, for example.

But to use a controller to it's full potential, then no matter what voltage pixel you use, you'll have to start using power injection.

Example: the Pixlite can run 1020 pixels off each of it's 16 outputs. However, using the general "rule", if you were using 12V pixels you'd have to power inject every 100 pixels, if 5V pixels every 50; BUT once you start power injecting it doesn't really make much difference if it's 50, 100 or whatever number. So it's not as important as to which voltage you use.

Hope that clears up a few things.

Oh and all the other experts out there, please don't confuse things, I know I'm generalising re "rule". :D :D
thank you. that makes sense... cool.. ok I'll look at 12V lights from Ray Wu... and work from there!.. thanks so much for your help