Hello

Darty

New elf
Hi everyone

So I've been doing a Christmas light display for the past few years and I really want to do a synchronised music show this year. Ive downloaded the manuals and read them and I'm also a sparky by trade but I was hoping to get an idea of from experienced people on how long it would take to actually set up a show. I was thinking of either doing leaping arches using WS2811IC strip or perhaps even a 12 ribbon tree or a 12 ribbons horizontal matrix.
I was wondering firstly if I still have enough time this year, what software I should use if there are existing sequences I can transfer for a horizontal matrix?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in Sydney, Australia.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Welcome the Forum.

In Chat you mentioned that your in the Eastern Suburbs and would like to catch up with someone to help wrap head around things, hopefully someone pipes ups

Cheers
Phil

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Hey darty , welcone. Plenty of time left this year if you are just building a single display element . Secret is getting the parts you are going to use ordered asap to give yourself time. Oh and always get some spares. When stuff is coming from china there is no running down to jaycar for parts.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, the fact that you are an electrician helps you a great deal to getting started as you already know the fundamentals of electricity.

If you are ever passing down south through Albion Park then you are welcome to pop in and I will be glad to show you the fundamentals of a lighting system and how the pieces all fit together.

gerry

Senior elf
Hello Darty,

Welcome to ACL ! Yes you can do stuff for this year and IMO its good to do even a couple of different elements because then you can rapidly build on it for the next year and things make more sense.

I now use xLights (nutcracker forum) to sequence - it is free and relatively simple to learn.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome57.gif

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Darty

The easiest part is usually building an element, wrapping your head around the hardware part is not so hard.
Sequencing on the other hand can be the time consuming part depending on how complex you want to make the lighting. Most sequencing these days are not very sharable due to the complexity or difference in light shows. Even the most common shared sequences from Light-O-Rama are not so easily shared these days.
That said, if someone else has a matrix setup like yours you may be able to get a sequence if you are using the "exact" same song.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Welcome to ACL, Glad to have another on board. Soon the whole planet will be sequencing lights to music :eek:
Jump into Chat and say hi.

-Blu