help needed please

wilky37

New elf
hi all i am new to this hobby, i am using xlights to sequence my show i have connected my controller board (i am using dumb rgb board i bought from ail express its a 10 output 30 channel board) i have connected it with a e1.31 bridge. i have set it up in lights as per the numerous tutorials, withe 4 universes 512 channels per universe, problem is i can't get the board to work and make the nodes work, on the first board i have set the dip switch to 1 on all the others off but nothing. i have selected output to light on the sequence tab , I'm stuck, is there a chance something i have bought is not working or am i doing something wrong, i am like i say very new so my set up is most likely the problem any help greatly appreciated
Ian

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Wilky,

Please add some information on what Board and e131 bridge you have to give us an idea of what your problem might be.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
As superman said, please provide further info or a link on the controller and also the lights you are connecting because the way I read it is that you are trying set up a dumb controller like a pixel controller and connect pixel lights to it which are 2 entirely different things

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
IF the devices that you are trying to connect happen to be the ones below then you are potentially in trouble. The E1.31 to dmx bridge does work but it's a little peculiar. The IP's that you can configure within it are simply in order to be able to access the web interface. The board itself will ONLY respond to multicast data which isn't a huge problem once you are aware of it. The dmx light on it doesn't indicate that dmx data is being sent. It indicates that E1.31 data is being received. The manual for this board is actually quite good and a copy is on the wiki and is linked below.
The dc dimmer that I suspect you may have (see link below) is great other than the fact that they don't work based on my experience. I had a look at a board for a user in Ballarat and the test function works fine but the board simply refuses to respond to dmx data. You can occasionally latch a bit of data into it by partially inserting the dmx plug and fluking something into the board. One other frustrating thing about the board is that it lies with respect to the data light. As soon as it sees what it thinks is some valid data it will flash the data light forever until power is removed. It's a great little board with LED indication of the status of the 30 outputs but it simply doesn't work. Or it may work and the 4 boards that John and tested may just have been a dud batch. I tried the board with 3 different usb dongles that are known to work and also a e1.31-dmx bridge so it was tested pretty thoroughly.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Magic-Q-E1-31-sACN-to-DMX-Interface-Bridge-DMX512-over-ethernet-4-DMX512-Universes/2052761448.html?
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki_source/images/3/31/E-DMX-Manual.pdf

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/dmx-512-30-channel-27channel-Easy-DMX-LED-controller-decoder-dmx512-decoder-controlador-dmx-console/32255469793.html?

wilky37

New elf
hi thanks for the quick replies, i can assure you I'm not trying to connect pixels to the board, i am using dumb rgb nodes, the bridge I'm using is an ethernet rj45 multicast format E1.31 to DMX Interface it has 4 universes, it is the same equipment that is used in many tutorials the equipment i have bought is the board and the bridge in your link, so it looks like i bought the wrong board, you are correct it will work in test mode, at least i will stop trying to make it all work now
thanks for the replies

Roosta

Full time elf
Hi wilky.. I had similar issues when first playing.. Have you clicked the little light bulb in xlights to on, to output to your controllers?

wilky37

New elf
hi thanks for the replies, yes i have clicked the light bulb ( output to lights icon), if as was said above this type of board is rubbish and won't work has any one any ideas as which board will work for dumb rgb nodes (not pixels) am going to use them for singing faces elements and have all the dumb nodes, can anyone recommend a good board, or has anyone got this board working

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
I didn't see a rj45 wiring diagram. Are they perhaps using a non standard wiring scheme for the rj45 (assuming you were using cat 5 to connect)?