Help needed with channels etc

Vertigo_uk

New elf
hi all noob here

I’m a little confused about how many controllers I would need for my first setup.

I plan to go big and think I will need 55 strips of varying length inc the mega tree. This adds up to over 8000 channels. Does this mean I would need 500 controllers for channel control or would it be a channel strip (want individual pixel control) basically I’m asking how many controllers I would need given 16ch per controller. Or is it basically you can have individual pixel control up to max number of pixels per channel. Or is it a case if think of the 16channels on the controller as 16 universes hence controlling 512 channels per channel. It’s confusing lol

I was planning on a matrix display too but this is a stupid number of channels. Or are these driven in a different way.

Guidance required lol. Thanks

Last edited:

livetoride

Full time elf
So 55 strips of 100 nodes are 5,500. You would get away with a F16v3 and one expansion bored as you would put your strings in a zig zag so only using one data/ port on the controller per output. The Falcon controller can control 49,152 channels so you'll be safe :).

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I also suggest you create an excel spreadsheet to keep track of channels, IP's, etc. This will help you along the way. Also, you need to consider learning about power injection. Also, jump into chat, it is the best place to ask questions and get help.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
As bluzervic said, drop by chat, or even the Zoom meeting room on the xlights page, and you can have all your questions answered in <5 minutes

keithsw1111

Senior elf
You clearly need to read the 101 manual. There are some basics there you need to understand BEFORE you buy anything.

8000 pixels can easily be controlled by one controller but that is not the whole story. Lights location, power issues etc etc all complicate things. And that is before you start to play with extenders and expansion boards. There are lots of possibilities and you are best asking questions in more interactive ways like chat and Zoom to get yourself comfortable with things. We have all bought the wrong device at one point or another and there is no reason for you to do the same thing. The most important thing is knowing what you want to do because the right answer will change depending on your needs short term and long term.

Vertigo_uk

New elf
You clearly need to read the 101 manual. There are some basics there you need to understand BEFORE you buy anything.

8000 pixels can easily be controlled by one controller but that is not the whole story. Lights location, power issues etc etc all complicate things. And that is before you start to play with extenders and expansion boards. There are lots of possibilities and you are best asking questions in more interactive ways like chat and Zoom to get yourself comfortable with things. We have all bought the wrong device at one point or another and there is no reason for you to do the same thing. The most important thing is knowing what you want to do because the right answer will change depending on your needs short term and long term.

Brilliant thanks. I have had a quick look at the 101. And also had a play with Xlights. I think I understand how it works now. Will get myself on to chat.