Help withspecs on new J1Sys stuff

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I received some more new toys from Ed at J1Sys today. I sent Ed a note asking for the specs but I know he is busy as are we all this time of year so I thought that I would post a request on here and the DIY forum to see if anyone has already played with these modules and found anything that others need to know?

They are the:
ECG-PPR-B PPX 1ch Receiver - Signals only
ECG-PPR-C PPX 1ch Receiver - 5V 1.5A
ECG-PPR-D PPX 1ch Receiver - 5V 5A

I see that the PPR-D takes 18-36V power on the Lucent module although the back of the circuit board is labeled as 24V.

The PPR-B is simply a receiver board that I "assume" is just 5V in and 5V out on the terminals? Any ideas on how much current it can take?

The PPR-C is the same receiver board as the B but has an added regulator circuit on it to pump out 1.5A on the V+ output side. Is that input side allow for greater than 5V in?

Just trying to make sure we all understand the new stuff and what it can and cannot do for us!

Gilrock

Full time elf
I just ordered a new P12 with the P12D driver board and some ECG-PPR-D receivers. Ed told me the 5V 5A lines needed 24V PPX power.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I also have a new P12D to play with and asked Ed for what to pick up to test things out and he sold me 4 each of the B, C, & D Receivers to play with. I want a couple of other ones but he is out of one and one is still in R&D so have to wait for them!

Yes the D is recommended to use 24V with it but was just stating that the Lucent DC-DC Power module on it stes in DC of 18-36V, 2.2A and out DC of 5V, 6A.
Hence my question of whether anyone has gotten any info that it could handle up to 36 V in without trouble?

All new stuff but needs to have some parameters laid out for it.

I just want us all to be able to play nice with our new toys and not let too much smoke out of them too soon!!

Gilrock

Full time elf
I've got 3 of the PPR-D up and running in my yard and adding 3 more in the next day or so. Ed told me I needed to use 24V and the board has 24V printed on the artwork so that's what I used. The Lucent module may be spec'ed for 36V but I never like running at the max limit of a part and also you gotta check whether the differential chip can handle it. What's the reason to push for 36V...will 24V not work for you?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
did you end up getting more specs on these items?

No, nothing yet. But with it being this time of year I am not going to press for anything till after the first of the year. I would just like to see some nice written up specs on these to make life easier for everyone in the long run.

Bill

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
CopperCreekLights said:
I've got 3 of the PPR-D up and running in my yard and adding 3 more in the next day or so. Ed told me I needed to use 24V and the board has 24V printed on the artwork so that's what I used. The Lucent module may be spec'ed for 36V but I never like running at the max limit of a part and also you gotta check whether the differential chip can handle it. What's the reason to push for 36V...will 24V not work for you?

No push for anything actually. I just want to see very clear specs published if we can so that there are no misconceptions on what this stuff can and can't take or do.
I have not received any further info from Ed on these modules so you have gotten more than I have.

I know that the older range extenders he was making had the capability of running on 36 VDC if I remember right so was just wondering if these might be able to handle that since the Lucent module Is rated for it.

I will probably be running 24V but may go with 12V, I am not sure yet. Ed's other receiver modules take 5V it appears but I won't get around to playing with any of it till after the first of the year and I am still waiting for a board that he is out of stock at the moment to come in.

Bill