Hey guys been a while but need to get a few things sorted before ot get to late

badger4543

Full time elf
soo its been a while, earlier this year I sourced a pixlite 16, had a play with x lights and pretty much got my head around most of the parts and what I want my display to look like,

Parts I have are the pixlite 16, power supplies, pixels and a raspberry pi 3b+ and a mac book pro laptop.

but I'm still yet to network the pixlite to xlights. From memory last time I was playing around i think I worked out i needed to run the pixlite via a router to setup.

Is an extra router required to run the whole show or Just to setup??? And is just a basic cheap router enough?

How far from the controller to the first pixel can I go and what's the best solution here?

Any recommend 12v flood light suppliers via ebay Australia?? im only needing 6 dont really wanna fuss with Alibaba if I dont have to.

And are there any videos or previous pages that can help guide me through this that you'd recommend, ive tried a search with not much luck and tried going through the videos on YouTube but didn't have to much success as far as help with the pixlite..

Or anyone willing to walk a very begginer though this step??

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
Hi Badger, the pi 3b+ is only 100mbit so a cheap router will do, I ran from my standard home router for the first couple of years without any issue and just introduced a 16 port switch. I now run a full ubiquiti network but thats another discussion .... Just set your pi and you controller to static ip's you wont forget inside your subnet ( 192.168.x.x in most cases ). Not recommended you swap routers once it is setup as your subnet may change.

Canispater did a good video about distance, actually his entire channel will cover you for most beginner needs
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5wu5S0J1o

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
I am running PixLite x2 shortest distance is 1m longest is about 12m but they will push a bit more.
set all your controllers to static IP’s and try to limit the channels used.
I had set my PixLite x1 last year to max and I was pumping out almost 100MB/s plus.
I cut the channels down to what I needed and got it down to 14MB/s. (Small show compared to most)
I also run a full 1GB/s UniFi system so it did not matter.
I manually set channels on the controller and xLights. It may not be the best way, but it works for me.